Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ej25. It's a 2.5 liter engine.
Isnt a EJ25 a DOHC engine? Im really confused as to what engine I have in my car. When I searched the Vin# on car fax it says that the car has a DOHC. When I call the dealer they say SOHC 2.5L. I just want to make sure I buy the right engine. Would pictures help? Or is there something on the block that say EJ25 stamped on it?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Top section of the engine case has a EJ25 stamped on it. The EJ25 comes in a few variations, all of which being 2.5L:
- SOHC
- DOHC
- DOHC with a turbo
That is the short list, there are a few sub-devisions on those. More at Subaru EJ engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Going by this I assume you are looking for a replacement engine.
.... I just want to make sure I buy the right engine. Would pictures help? Or is there something on the block that say EJ25 stamped on it?
Any EJ25 SOHC will fit with a little bit of work, some can be a direct drop in others will require swapping a few items over, which can be used as a good time to do some basic maintenance on a engine you don't know the history of.

This post should have most of your answers http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f66/07-engine-01-a-38498/#post439828 questions

Pick your favorite SOHC and to keep things easy, use your intake/intake wiring harness from the old engine and verify you cam sprocket and timing belt sprocket on the new engine are the same as the old engine, or you end up scratching your head. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f145/2000-ej22-into-1999-ej2-5-trouble-76015/

·
Registered
2000 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I am looking for a engine for my Forester. Is there anyway to tell if its a SOHC or DOHC by looking at it? I can find a DOHC replacement engine but I am finding difficulties finding a SOHC.

·
Premium Member
8,073 Posts
DOHC

SOHC

Notice the difference between the timing belt covers.

The DOHC also has spark pug wire that go straight in where as the SOHC are at a downward angle.

·
Premium Member
8,073 Posts
Also look on ebay, there are typically many listed.

You can even try searching for JDM engine importers on the web.

If you are looking for a remanufactured with a warranty try Remanufactured Subaru Engines

As with every thing YMMV

·
Registered
2000 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply guys. All the info is helpful. I am going to check my engine when I get home. I have a engine knock. I wonder if its better to rebuild or to get a jdm one.

·
Premium Member
8,073 Posts
If you can't do the bulk of the labor of a rebuild your self it is typically more cost effective for most to go with a replacement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts