Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Recently completed swap of 2000 ej22 from impreza into 1999 forester.

Both are SOHC...I used intake manifold and wiring harness from 2.5. The Ypipe is going to have to be changed. The 2.2 has a single outlet the 2.5 has a dual outlet. The problem I'm having is the motor won't start. If I floor the throttle and crank, it sounds as if the timing is off. Otherwise, it sounds like it's not getting gas or spark.

I've read of others doing this swap, but they use the 2.2 intake and convert MAF to MAP, or vice versa. I did bolt up the y-pipe, and wonder if it may be restricting the exhaust too much for it to run, but other than that... I've got no clue.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Did you verify the placement/number of the triggers on the timing belt pulley and the cam shaft pulley for the cam and crank position sensors?

·
Registered
1999 forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
timing

no, I did not. I never removed the plastic cover on either engine. The impreza engine was pulled from a running car... I believe it was a wrx swap. The only suprise was the thermostat was missing. I almost wondered if the firing order was different for these two engines... can't imagine it would be. The crank pulley is keyed, I can't see how the timing would be messed up. I'm ready to swap the cam and crank sensors from the 2.5, but at this point, I don't know what I'm doing.

·
Premium Member
8,073 Posts
It is not the crank shaft accessory pulley but the Crank pulley that drives the timing belt and the camshaft pulley on the drivers side. They have the triggers for the for the cam and crank position sensors cast onto them.

I can't find my pic I have posted on here showing them but take a look at this one that show '01 next to a '09. The small pulley is the one that drives the timing belt the larger is the camshaft pulley.

·
Premium Member
8,073 Posts
Here is my post:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f66/07-engine-01-a-38498/#post439828

With out verifying You have the correct pulleys on I wouldn't bother troubleshooting any further. Subaru has used at least 4 different cam pulleys and 3 different crank pulleys I know of through out the years and even mixed and matched in the same year(a '03 NA Baja can be a nightmare). You need to run the pulleys that match the ECU.

·
Registered
1999 forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That's it!!

The pic in this thread is very similar to the differences I found. Once the pullies were swapped, the thing fired right up. Still have to find a single output y-pipe, and a purge control solenoid... hoping the one off the 2.2 is the same...

But it's driving now...I thought I'd toasted it.

Thanks for the spot on info!!

Slumslime

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts