Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Forester L Manual
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all quick electrical question for my '00 Forester
I noticed the window was off the track, so I asked I friend who completely stripped and detailed his '98 RS to help get it back on the track since I've never taken Subaru panels off before. When we popped the door panel off the window regulator was noticably janked and I needed a new one (this was about a month after purchasing my Forester) so I ordered a new one but never got to replacing it due to working full time and going to school.
Sadly I paid the price of procrastinating and the window stopped working and I was wondering if there was a fuse protecting it. I tried looking here and in other Subaru forms to see if there was, but couldn't find anything specific. I only that it doesn't have it's own designated fuse and that it's probably in a circuit with a few other things... Radio works, all other powered windows work from the master switch and their own switch, cruise control works.

I want to replace the window regulator and then send 12vdc to the window lift motor itself to see if that does anything. Maybe it's a bad switch but seems unlikely to me seeing as how it stopped working and the condition of it before it did. I didn't notice any electrical burning smell when it happened. I work with a lot electrical for work and schooling so I'm fairly familiar with how burnt electrical smells. (accidently sent 120V to a 24V coil one time... Good learning experience to always check your wiring before testing)
Thank you all in advance and Merry Christmas

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just joined a few days ago and have been lurking.

Looks like I need a new lift motor then?

·
Registered
2002 Forester automatic
46 Posts
(not sure if this is helpful)
The last time I replaced the '03 DF window motor, I left myself a note for next time to have on hand some (3?) 20mm long 6mm x 1.0 hex bolts to use as temporary substitutes for the shorter bolts that hold the window regulator.

In my case I wasn't replacing the regulator. To squeeze the motor out, it was necessary to back the regulator bolts out quite a bit -- to the point where I was nervous the regulator would fall out completely.

The longer 20mm bolts give you the extra wiggle room to squeeze the motor past the regulator without worrying that you're dangling too far on the tip of your regulator bolts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know! Depending on what I find when I pop the panel off that's just what I might have to do... Although. If the motor is bad maybe I'll procrastinate some more and wait to get a lift motor in and replace both at the same time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts