Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 subaru forester L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read many posts about what it could be or to help troubleshoot. Here's what has been done:

Checked all fuses. Took off fuse box to find fuel pump relay. Thought I found it but it wasn't it but eventually got to the fuel pump bracket with the main relay on it. Tested the fuel pump connector with DMM and it read 11+v with key on. Took out the fuel pump and tested it at the battery at it turned on so I put it back in. So I'm going to get a new main relay cause that's what someone suggested with the same symptoms. Possibly get another crankshaft sensor as well. Here's where I need some advice/help.

I don't know how to check my timing belt. If someone could help by describing what I need to do. I can read the shop manual but I need it in non mechanic type text.

Also, on the washer fluid reservoir there are two wire harnesses that I couldn't find any info on. And they are fried. Anyone know what they are for and if it could be part of the no start problem.

Please and thank you!

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
696 Posts
Took out the fuel pump and tested it
Is fuel getting to injectors (can you smell raw fuel when you crank it a few times, are spark plugs wet)?

Have you tested for spark, when engine is cranking over?

When it cranks, does it crank at normal speed? Is it faster, slower, same, laboured?

Do any cylinders fire at all, when cranking?

What were the symptoms prior to the ‘no start’ issue?

What work was done just prior to ‘no start’ issue?

Do you have an ODBII reader, or diagnositc scantool? What DTC’s are logged?

Can you monitor engine sensor values, to see if they are within normal range?

·
Registered
2000 subaru forester L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I have replaced the main relay and the crankshaft sensor. No start. I don't know how to check for spark really. But when I put the new crankshaft sensor in and tried to start it, after I added 2 gallons more gas, it made a different sound then before but still didn't start. When I tested the fuel pump out side of the car it turned on. But i think I should have just got a new one also. Before the no start happened when the car died around 2am before that I nearly ran out of gas. Put 3-5 gallons in. Drove around then later that night it died. I don't know how to check the timing belt either. So I'm going to get an obd2 reader and go from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts