Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Administrator
21,217 Posts
Did you check the radiator thermofan switch(es)? on the radiator?
I'm putting it up on ramps today and I'll try to locate the sensors that were referred to in an earlier post.
The sensors referred to by karlaudi did not exist on either of my Subarus therefore I doubt very much they would be on your vehicle. The workshop manual for MY'03 (incls non-turbo and turbo) refers to just one "Engine Coolant Sensor". As well there is the "Intake Air Temp Sensor" and the "ATF Temp Sensor" but I cannot imagine either of these stopping the fans.

If the car needs to be used just run direct fused power to the fans with a switch under the hood. I did this as a temporary fix in the past.

· Administrator
21,217 Posts
Could be a thermostat issue. If you run the engine with the radiator cap off is there any evidence of flow and/or the coolant getting hot?

I'm pretty sure the heater connection is independent of the thermostat so it can get heat without coolant flowing through the thermostat.

· Administrator
21,217 Posts
As pointed out, 160F will certainly not turn the fans on and would certainly not push a temp gauge into the red. For example my temp can go to about 220F (105C) and the gauge only goes about 3/4 of the way up but not into the red.

I guess we'll just leave it with you; good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts