Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT MT
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on the new forum, but had to register again:?

Anyway, I'd like to get a 2" receiver for my '04 XT but all I can seem to find are 1 1/4". The first thing I'd like to use it for is for bike racks (2" models are MUCH more stable and hold more bikes), but I would also like to have the option of trailering my motorcycle if I go to the track (~500# of motorcycle + trailer). So the hitch would be used to actually haul some stuff, so it can't just be tack welded on the frame.

A local guy in town has a 2" on his NA Forester ('04 I think), but I haven't had a chance to catch up with him and ask him about it.

Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
I haven't found one, but would like a 2-inch as well. However, I am not holding my breath. Too many people will figure if it is 2-inch it must be able to tow what ever the hitch says!

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
This was discussed quite a bit on the old forum, and a 2" receiver is yet to be found.

However, I did see the photo of Adamsm's hitch in 2nd photo of this thread, and it appears to be bigger than a 1.25", or maybe it's an illusion.

·
Registered
2004 FXT MT
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought I recall something about this on the old forum, but I suppose there's no resurecting that.

I suppose I'll have to track down the local guys I've seen that has one. Luckily, I think he lives close to me and walks his dog regularly on the trails I run on. I'll let you all know if I find anything useful out.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Umm.. well you can buy a 2 inch adapter for a bike rack but you shouldn't use the adapter to trailer anything

My hitch is beefy enough to trailer up to 3000 pounts, with 350# tounge weight.. far more than the forester can/should handle

Personally.. I've trailered 2 fourwheelers and one riding lawnmower for about 130 miles straight.. no problems

G

·
Matt,

Although a 2" trailer hitch receiver would be nice, I have had absolutely no problems hauling a utility trailer (500 lbs) containing two sportbikes (450 lbs each) to trackdays and races, with a standard Draw-Tite hitch w/ 1.25" receiver. Granted, when I have 2 bikes onboard, I really need to be careful when braking, and the steep access road at Laguna Seca gets my turbo complaining a little bit ;), but it's very doable.

I am thinking of getting a Pace enclosed trailer next, so I am definitely going to want it to include electric brakes.

By the way, it should be mentioned that the tow ratings for vehicles are more conservative here in the USA compared to the rest of the world. There are many folks towing loads that greatly exceed our supposed 2500-lb maximum, in other countries. Lots of good insights on towing w/ a Forester, in this forum:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/16901860/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
SenorSubie said:
My hitch is beefy enough to trailer up to 3000 pounts, with 350# tounge weight.. far more than the forester can/should handle
Here's the confusing part. In South Africa the Forester was rated for 4400 lbs towing capacity. They had the highest capacity ratings out of all of Subaru's global divisions. Other countries have different numbers as well. I think Subaru derated it here in the USA for liability reasons (our lawsuit happy society freaked them out). Based on these findings, you can certainly tow more than the 2400 lb limit, but consider terrain before towing 4k+ lbs up, or worse, down Cajon! You might also run into liability issues if you have an accident while exceeding the posted ratings in your country.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
The best bike rack that I want comes in a 2" and the 1.25" adapter makes it sloppy and extend out too much. I wish they made a 2" hitch receiver that would fit.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
Check out the Subaru Australia hitches.
They came in 2 sizes (although metric).

·
11 sec club
04 Cayenne TT
1,486 Posts
Flyer said:
The best bike rack that I want comes in a 2" and the 1.25" adapter makes it sloppy and extend out too much. I wish they made a 2" hitch receiver that would fit.
Any chance of just welding the adapter to the receiver? Or just finding a 2" box off of another hitch in a junkyard and having it cut off and welded on?

·
Registered
2004 FXT MT
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for giving me your personal input quasi888, that makes me feel better about trailering with a 1 1/2".

If it weren't for having to haul a decent size load (~1000#), I wouldn't mind welding an adapter on to convert it to 2". I do have access to welders to cut and weld one on, but thought of having my motorcycle end up in the passenger seat isn't appealing. I'd really like to find a manufactured 2" hitch rather than a slapped together one. It would be nice if all of this was cheap too!

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
the head said:
Any chance of just welding the adapter to the receiver? Or just finding a 2" box off of another hitch in a junkyard and having it cut off and welded on?
Answer: Well, I thought about this but I don't know a really good welder. Here's the deal- my mountain bike cost me around $4K to build and it is my baby. It would be quite upsetting if the weld cracked and the bike slid down the highway at 70 mph. I would be even worse if I had my riding buddy or buddies traveling with me with their expensive bikes on there. One bad welder could cost us $10K:frown:

On the other hand, an extension is an option BUT it makes the rack extend out more and my garage is short as it is so it may not fit even folded up. The roof rack may be my only option but the fork mounted ones are a pain (had one but the disc-brake wheel can be a PITA. The full-bike ones are not very stable and I just don't trust them either. I will look into some other options.

·
Registered
2004 FXT MT
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got a full Thule roof system, with 3 V2's, a Super G, and 3 wheel carriers. For standard disc bikes (non-20/24mm axles) you can't get any easier than the V2's. What problems do you have? All you need to do is not squeeze the front brake lever when the wheel is out, and if you do, it's really not a big deal. My DH bike and friends bikes with 20/24mm axles get tossed right up on the Super G w/ taking the front wheel off, and it's plenty stable even for a 50# bike.

I've gotten 5 people and all our gear (one bike w/ both wheels off in the trunk) in my Forrester on many occassions! The only downside is the gas mileage - a lot of wind resistance and an extra 750+ pounds in the car!

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Flyer said:
Answer: Well, I thought about this but I don't know a really good welder.
The best place to have it done is at a custom hitch shop. They can usually be found in metro areas, though it usually takes some asking around. Since they do this stuff all day long, and understand the liability aspects, they should be able to take care of you.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Well, I figured it would go out of whack if I kept hitting the calipers by mistake but muddy wheels in the car are not much fun either. That can be resolved and I used to have a Yak Steelhead and it was okay TILL I got a hitch-mounted rack and never had to mess with the wheels again. That, in itself, enhances my riding experience. Oh, and so does not forgetting the wheels at home or lying in the parking lot.:tempertantrum

Matt D said:
I've got a full Thule roof system, with 3 V2's, a Super G, and 3 wheel carriers. For standard disc bikes (non-20/24mm axles) you can't get any easier than the V2's. What problems do you have? ................+ pounds in the car!

G

·
Boca_Yid said:
Here's the confusing part. In South Africa the Forester was rated for 4400 lbs towing capacity. They had the highest capacity ratings out of all of Subaru's global divisions. Other countries have different numbers as well. I think Subaru derated it here in the USA for liability reasons (our lawsuit happy society freaked them out). Based on these findings, you can certainly tow more than the 2400 lb limit, but consider terrain before towing 4k+ lbs up, or worse, down Cajon! You might also run into liability issues if you have an accident while exceeding the posted ratings in your country.

So is there any structural difference between the US Forrester and the South African Forrester? I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to by a FXT rather than a Liberty, which has a 5000lb tow rating.

·
Registered
2004 FXT MT
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think there's any structural difference, but there's a whole lof of legal differences. Meaning, American's have a much greater chance of suing anyone/anything and not taking responsibility for thier actions.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
There are often other differences dictated by the marketing department. US usually gets softer suspension, for instance. A member on the old forum reported that an Australian made 2" hitch won't fit directly onto a US Forester, has to do with some of the bumper parts being different.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts