Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Perrin 22mm FSB replacing the stock one. 2 questions:

1. I'm now getting more oversteer, I thought a bigger FSB is supposed to give you more understeer, not the other way around. I'm wondering why this is.

2. I think I stripped 2 of the 4 bolts for the jacking plate. The bolts just keeps spinning if I keep turning them. There are still some resistance when I turn them, I'd say about 15-20 ft/lb. And the jacking plate seems to be sturdy in place. Do I need to worry about anything?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
#1 is going to be dependent on everything else going on with your suspension as well as your driving technique and especially speed. At low speeds around town, if I remember right, the fsb really quickened turning response. At speed and under braking on the course it really helps me kill outside corner cones o_O.... Brake THEN turn...

#2 is going to cause you much trouble. It definitely sounds like you striped them, I'd just slap in some new hardware.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,863 Posts
The jack plate on my '07 has bolts only on the side facing the rear & a bolt & nut on the side facing the front of the vehicle. Which side did you strip out? :confused:

I did the RSB first on my '07 & I hated the oversteering! Adding the FSB correct everything. My FSB installation can be viewed here. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Suspension: 06 WRX struts with pink wagon springs. STi RSB with Kartboy endlinks, front endlinks are stock.

Brake then turn, that's what I do. Driving style is aggressive I'd say.

What kind of problem would it cause me? And is it the crossmember I need to replace? Anything else?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I stripped one on each end. I think they are across from each other too.

The jack plate on my '07 has bolts only on the side facing the rear & a bolt & nut on the side facing the front of the vehicle. Which side did you strip out? :confused:

I did the RSB first on my '07 & I hated the oversteering! Adding the FSB correct everything. My FSB installation can be viewed here. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
39,863 Posts
It sounds like you stripped out the ones without the nut, with a weld nut in the frame. Have you backed out the bolts to see if just the bolt is stripped? If so, the fix would be as easy as getting new bolts. :wink:

If the weld nut is stripped, how about retapping it for a larger bolt? :confused:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I stripped one with the nut, and one without.

I didn't back out the bolts to see since I was late for work. I can check next time I'm under the car though.

But if it's bolted in and the plate isn't loose, what kind of trouble is Tussen talking about I wonder?

·
Administrator
39,863 Posts
No I stripped one with the nut, and one without.

I didn't back out the bolts to see since I was late for work. I can check next time I'm under the car though.

But if it's bolted in and the plate isn't loose, what kind of trouble is Tussen talking about I wonder?
If the plates are just for jacking, I don't see any problems. If they're part of the subframe, then you want to get them secured correctly. :wink:

When I did mine, I didn't use a torque wrench, I just tightened them as tight as I could with a 3/8" ratchet. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I'm not explaining myself right, let's try this again. There are 2 bolts and 2 bolts+nuts that bolt the jacking plate into the subframe/crossmember. I think I stripped 1 bolt and 1bolt+nut.

Here's a picture, it's one from the rear and one from the front. What did you mean 'if they're part of the subframe'? They are bolts that go into the subframe.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much, its only purpose is for jacking up the car. It slightly braces the crossmember over the steering rack but not much. You could try one of the aftermarket braces with the built in jacking plate like the gt-spec one!

The FSB is helping you to keep your camber in check when cornering and thus more front end grip (and allowing the rear to rotate around the front), what are your alignment specs? Basically before you were losing grip at the front, so while the rear was stiffer, the front couldn't keep up.

Do you brake hard into the corner or are you scrubbing speed before entering the turn? You're probably transferring weight to the front under braking causing the front to stick even more and the rear to get "light" and lose grip.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
#2 is going to cause you much trouble. It definitely sounds like you striped them, I'd just slap in some new hardware.
What I meant by this is that you should be fine. I just don't like not replacing/repairing stripped hardware.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it's OK, then I'm happy!

My alignment numbers, or at least from a year ago:

Camber:
F: -1.29 -1.41
R: -1.11 -1.17

Toe:
F: -0.02 -0.02
R: -0.00 -0.01

Caster:
F: 3.26 3.65

Thrust Angle:
R: -0.09 0.33

What you described is exactly what I felt, before the FSB, I felt the front end couldn't keep up when turning, it always felt something was about to break. But now with the FSB, everything feels solid and more balanced.

I don't brake hard into corners, I normally let the car coast or light brakeing before turns, and never on the brake when turning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts