Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
07 FSXT
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 options that I am thinking about and am not sure which one to go with.

Option 1 : Downpipe & Tune (installed and tuned the same day at efi)

Option 2 : STI TMIC, Downpipe & Tune (i would install the tmic efi does the rest)

What would you guys suggest & what would be the major differences? Would the tmic be worth it or would the gains be minimal compared to option 1?

One other thing would I get anything out of a avo filter and a new after maf hose? Thanks in advance can't wait to hear what you have to say.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
i like option 2, while the gains wont be spectacular, but the larger tmic will help fight heatsoak and be more effiecent!

i say leave the stock intake and accordian aftermaf, throw in a filter if you so wish...

i run this setup, except w/ a catback also - couldnt be happier.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,017 Posts
yup, Option 2 for sure.
larger intercooler will help your engine make its power more efficiently, and it's only a couple minutes work to swap them out.

you should definitely notice a difference in how hard the car pulls. It won't be a huge difference, but 100% noticeable. You'll probably notice the louder exhaust rumble with the DP the most.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
Thanks I should have mentioned that I do have a STI catback on now. What increases did you see with this set up?
every car and dyno read differently... but w/ a protune over stock i made 60whp and 100wtq LOL! its peak hp/tq afterall, we are talking td04 here. but the kick in the pants is fun down low, but she runs outta steam uptop.

i think itll be fine for a while, you will eventually get used to it and want more though.

·
Registered
07 FSXT
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
every car and dyno read differently... but w/ a protune over stock i made 60whp and 100wtq LOL! its peak hp/tq afterall, we are talking td04 here. but the kick in the pants is fun down low, but she runs outta steam uptop.

i think itll be fine for a while, you will eventually get used to it and want more though.
Thanks, that would be a nice improvement!

When I go to option 2 is there any other supporting mods that should be done or will just that be ok?

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,485 Posts
You don't really need to do a lot in the way of supporting mods with option 2.
A couple of things to note, though:
- you'll likely need a new 90 degree silicone elbow to connect the TMIC to your turbo (the TD04 is smaller than the VF39 so the stock STi red elbow is a bit too short). You can find these pretty easily online.
- aftermarket downpipes (except for Cobb) don't mate up nicely with the stock midpipe. They usually have a flat flange whereas the midpipe has a donut flange. So unless you have (or plan to buy) an aftermarket catback, you might want to get an adapter (available on eBay) or have an exhaust shop weld a flat flange onto your midpipe.

·
Registered
07 FSXT
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don't really need to do a lot in the way of supporting mods with option 2.
A couple of things to note, though:
- you'll likely need a new 90 degree silicone elbow to connect the TMIC to your turbo (the TD04 is smaller than the VF39 so the stock STi red elbow is a bit too short). You can find these pretty easily online.
- aftermarket downpipes (except for Cobb) don't mate up nicely with the stock midpipe. They usually have a flat flange whereas the midpipe has a donut flange. So unless you have (or plan to buy) an aftermarket catback, you might want to get an adapter (available on eBay) or have an exhaust shop weld a flat flange onto your midpipe.
Thanks Smooth

Do I also need the tb to ic coupler in addition to the elbow or just the elbow. I am also having trouble finding a place that just sells the elbow, most sell a kit which I don't think I need everything else. The guys at efi suggested a cobb (like you said) or a invidia. Which on do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,485 Posts
I believe the coupler usually works. You can find 2" ID silicon elbows on stylinmotors.com; they are also available cheaper on eBay, just find a reputable seller. You may have to trim to fit in some cases.

For the DP the Cobb is a very nice piece and if you don't plan to upgrade the catback it will save you some hassle when it comes to the midpipe connection. It's expensive, though. There are lots of cheaper options that work just as well. I have a Helix which you can find for as little as $350 brand new or maybe $200 used. I don't recall reading about people having any serious problems with an aftermarket DP.

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,485 Posts
I believe the Samco would work, yes.

Any downpipe with a flat flange will mate up using an adapter. Pretty much any 02-07 WRX/STi downpipe will work, the fitment is the same.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
I'll answer a question w/ a question.

Do you plan to do more down the road. If yes, then go ahead and do the I/C now. If no, then the extra cost may not be justified.

·
Registered
07 FSXT
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll answer a question w/ a question.

Do you plan to do more down the road. If yes, then go ahead and do the I/C now. If no, then the extra cost may not be justified.
Thats the thing, I am going to say I don't think so thats why I am so on the fence about this mod, to do it right it is adding up.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,485 Posts
There has been some debate about the benefit of the STi TMIC with the TD04. Based on the opinion of several people experienced with tuning (see here), I think that the TMIC is a positive even with the stock turbo. More cooling is better - the stock TMIC is just so small.

That said, if you really NEVER plan to go to a different turbo, it might not be worth it. You probably won't see much of a gain in terms of real-world performance, even with a tune. You could use the money on suspension mods and likely see more of a difference than you would with the larger TMIC on the stock turbo. If there is a chance you'll upgrade to a VFXX at some point, though, I'd go for it.

·
Registered
07 FSXT
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Smooth, already did the suspension, swifts & sti rsb, feels much much better. Now I am getting ready for the eventual next step.
I am still on the fence about this one all though I am leaning more towards no. I have read a lot lately about this install and the debate seems to be split evenly. With out going to a larger turbo I just don't think it's really worth it, especially when you factor in the whole cost. Eventually I will do a DP & tune. I may even change all the TMIC pipes to samco, thoughts? I read a few times that this will make a noticeable difference. Any other thoughs or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
i run the sti samco hose kit w/ my sti tmic. they work great, just get the 4pc kit, and you only use 2 or 3 of the hoses..

this kit:

i ended up selling the bov return hose cus its a PITA to install to recoup some costs and you really dont see it anyways...

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
nah if you want to keep the stocker, just leave it alone... btw what year is your forester again? is the the plastic endtank ic?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts