Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for anyone out there with recommendations for a hitch mount bike rack. I'll need one that will hold 4 bikes and from what I've read putting 4 bikes on a bike rack built for 4 bikes can be difficult. That aside, I'm hoping some Forester owners with some previous experience, bad or good will share what they know.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
We have a Thule 4-bike carrier that fits our truck's 2" receiver. Ours is several years old, but it's essentially the same as the Thule 956 Parkway (4 bike / 2" receiver):

Here's a link to the specs and installation instructions.

This carrier has several features that we like:

1) Rubber cradles and straps are adjustable, so we've had no problem carrying four adult bikes, including my 22.5"-frame bike.
2) The receiver attaching screw (item "G") does a great job of firmly attaching the carrier to the receiver. No significant wobble or racking, and no noise. A 3/4" (19mm) socket or wrench is required, IIRC.
3) The lower security loop makes it easy to chain the bikes and carrier to the truck using the receiver's safety chain attachments or similar.​

We bought ours from L. L. Bean at a good price, and I like their warranty. Note, however, that the combination of this carrier (or any 4-bike carrier) and four (adult) bikes may be pushing the Subaru's 200 lb receiver load limit.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2010 Forester Sport-Tech
169 Posts
For those who are looking for hitch mounted bike racks....

Not sure if you've already bought a bike rack, but here is my rack. It's a Sportworks T2. Sportworks sold the design to Thule who now makes it.
Mine is the 2 bike 1-1/4" model, but I know for a fact that they make a 4 bike 2" model.
Yes, the rack is pricey, I paid $600 for it, but it will fit ANY bike you can find, it's really solid, and I don't worry at all with my bike on the back.

The bike in the photo is my old bike which has since been stolen. :icon_frown:
My new DH bike is a custom '08 Norco Aline Park Edition :bananapowerslide: worth about $6000 & weighing 47lbs. Needless to say I wanted a good rack.
I usually carpool with friends who have equally expensive and heavy DH bikes and we don't worry about the rack falling apart on the highway.

Edit: I can't post my photo, because I haven't made 15 posts yet....

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information to all who've posted. As of yet I still haven't gotten the rack but I'm still actively looking.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 Limited
1 Posts
Bike Rack Choice for 2010 Forester?

Hi All, we have 2 (hybrid) bikes and wondering is it better to get the roof mounted bike rack or the rear mounted? Seems both have their ups and downs. The problem with the top one it seems is if you need to get a roof luggage carrier for extra storage...Well then you're out of luck! The rear you need to buy the hitch first, then the rack. Can you open the rear liftgate with the bikes on for the rear mounted? Seems the brake lights and plate will be obstructed? Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 x LTD
43 Posts
Hi All, we have 2 (hybrid) bikes and wondering is it better to get the roof mounted bike rack or the rear mounted? Seems both have their ups and downs. The problem with the top one it seems is if you need to get a roof luggage carrier for extra storage...Well then you're out of luck! The rear you need to buy the hitch first, then the rack. Can you open the rear liftgate with the bikes on for the rear mounted? Seems the brake lights and plate will be obstructed? Thanks!

Jim
All of your questions/concerns hit the nail on the head. Another thing you might want to consider is that hybrids are usually a little heavier so depending on your better half's physique and height, she may or may not be able to lift the bike over her head in order to put the bike up on the roof. The other thing is there is no wheel holder for the aerobars so the front wheel (if you choose a fork mount) will need to go in the car.

There are pluses and minuses of either type of rack. We've had both types and currently have our bikes on the roof using Rocky Mounts Tie Rod's. We had the Subaru Yakima one that holds the frame but didn't like it.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Go with the Holywood "Traveler" 4 bike hitch mount rack. It is super stable, folds down easy and is a lot cheaper than Thule or Yakima racks. I use one on my Foresters and I love it. The bikes sit low enough that it doesn't really block the rearview. I can see the handlebars, but that is only on one side and I have a clear view of what's behind me.

The 2" version is onsale at Amazon too. $141 with free shipping!

·
Registered
2019 Forester 2.5 Prem CVT
31 Posts
Anyone try this rack, Softride Dura Parallelogram Tilting 4 Bike Rack for 1-1/4" and 2" Hitches. E-trailer sells it for $279.

Design seems interesting. Like the fact you can access the hatch without removing the bikes.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, it took a while but I finally found something on Craig's List that someone else did not beat me to first. Holds 4 bike very well and 'twas a really good deal too. Not sure which rack it is though - Thule road something? Nice to get all the bikes on the back however planning ahead when packing is essential as it does tilt down but does not swing out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This set up has worked pretty well for us. Originally I was looking for the bikes to be in the back as putting them on the top would have doubled the cost of riding on the ferry system here and I just wasn't willing to pay double each time with the bikes along. It also kept the top of the vehicle open for putting a cargo box on which I eventually ended up doing. So now when we go camping I can load up the bikes and a bunch of gear while putting the bikes on the top would have limited that. Now about the only downside is that if you need to get into the back of the vehicle it can be a pain. I've gotten it down so I pack things that I know I won't need to get at in the back and I also pack strategically, for instance if we bring along a cooler I put it in back but such that it can be accessed from the back seats. I've also found that if need be I can always fold the seat down to get to something too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.