Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...Im not going to discredit the Subaru, because Iv seen my girlfriends impreza sport go the last 60,000 miles without a single problem...however, I buy a 99 Forester S and waisted 1800 on a car with two blown head gaskets (the previous owner took every measure to hide the problem). I took that car to a Subaru Dealership, they said the head gaskets should be fine for a long time...So I spent 700 for the timing belt and water pump...

So, I live I learn...its only my second car and It was money i recieved from a bad drivers, insurance company because he rear ended my junker.

So I find myself a 2000 Forester L. 77,900 Miles. One owner, full title history...Everything seems fine until I see smoke one night driving down the road. I get out smoke goes away, problem goes away for 3 weeks. The other day Im driving up a mountain and the problem kicks into serious gear. I have a line of traffic 100 yards down this mountain as I am off to the side with my hood up looking for where the whitish smoke is coming from.

I get under the car, the smoke is from what looks to be around the oil pan. A leak from the pan area to the hot exaust pipe 2 inches below which is causing this smoke.

So I set off beck up to Pennsylvania where I purchased the car. The car has a 3000 mile warranty on it.

When I get up here I dealt with an interested buyer for the old forester and I asked his mechanic who was there taking a look at my new one. He gets under and sees this red sealing putty of some kind around the oil pan where the trans fluid is. He said it could be trans fluid as well. Also what the heck is this red sealant? some cheap repair for a gasket?? one that obviously isnt passing the test of time.

Add that to the fact that when I bought the car the coolant overflow tank was full of red coolant, 3 weeks later im empty. I dump a a little more of my own yellowish collant in (not full) and its all gone again.

AND for some reason when I checked my oil I was WAAAAYYY above full...probably drowning my engine.

that being said...

I really love this car, i mean...Its beautiful, its me, its my baby. I named her faith, because I have faith that she will hold up for me, but I dont know what to think...

what yall think, help a new subaru driver set his mind at ease....

Ill post back with good news tomorrow when I talk to the mechanic

thanks allot yall!

Joseph

PS all work is covered under warranty, so not all odds are against me!!!

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Red coolant?! If it had dexcool in it, the whole engines probably a loss. Subarus are relatively picky about coolant. The red stuff was probably make a gasket, probably for the oil pan. Where was the coolant level in the radiator? The overflow tank is just for overflow, it doesn't show the level in the system.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Red coolant!

I thought the tank you put the collant in is the over flow...When I got the car the collant tank was all the way full with a red liquid. Is that a certain kind of coolant used to mask an issue? I drove the car from philadelphia to my new home in richmond va and Had no coolant left...so i dumped in more up to the full line, but could of been filled much more...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts