Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We already have a 2016 Forester purchased new. I'm considering a 2019 Forester because after sitting in one I se that there is more room in the front seat, read that it is quieter, and have good previous experience with Subaru ownership.

Drove the 2016 on 2,000 mile loop to see what driving, passing and gas mileage was like.

As for gas mileage:

When we arrived at our destination the trip mileage was down to 17.2 mpg, destroying the 26+ mpg average my wife had. Yes, I drive a little more quickly than most.

After this trip I was impressed with:

1) 40% increase in gas mileage over my 4Runner.
2) Excellent backroad washboard handling.
3) Visibility outside rivaling my 4Runner.
4) Better performance than expected from CVT and tiny 2.5 liter engine.

Concerns:
1) Not quite big enough driver accommodation.
2) Concrete expansion joint noise transmitted into passenger cabin.
3) Wind noise.
4) 1/2 the suitcase area behind 2nd row of seats compared to my 4Runner.

Why would I make the change? Not sure I will but am seriously considering a 2019 Forester, or may 2020 Outback if it has the 2.4 turbo.

If a Subaru was purchased, it would be used exploring backroads. The Subaru optional skid plates would be added. A top quality 2" lift would be installed. No serious off-road, just wild hair exploration should a forest backroad call my name.

I would welcome any advise.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, if the cargo cover is completely removed I can get our 4 pieces of luggage into the Forester. With the wider 2019 rear door, maybe a little easier too.

The 4Runner for comparison.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i am a two subaru family just got my touring friday 2015 outback limited, white saddle brown forester touring
smooth and quieter than the outback the OB is wider very nice features list on the F is amazing for price point
love the driver focus and settings for the mirrors and seats.

the F has a more upright sitting position than the OB
not a very intuitive menu for anything but setting up my iPhone
dig a bunch to first figure out what they call a features and instead of describing in full the feature and how to change options it describes then sends you to another page

this up down set menu function is not i'm saying NOT intuitive
did finally set for me and wife driver focus and option on the color secondary display now i get it after a bunch of tries. oh and video tutorials help online to bad subaru of america doesn't have a boatload of these. i found these at various online dealers

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordered a 2019 Forester Sport with a June delivery as I have specific requirements.

Purchasing the 8 year 120,000 mile Subaru extended warranty insurance. $2,998. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

This will indeed make us a 2 Subaru forester family. A 2016 and now a 2019.

Since the dealership won't touch aftermarket items, I will go elsewhere to have the Anderson 1 1/2" lift and Ecohitch installed. I will also have the sunroof, front side and windshield covered with the 3M Automotive Window Film Crystalline Series that rejects 50% of sun energy, 97% of infrared energy, 99% of UV and 22% of all glare. Appears clear from inside and outside.

I expect to replace the tires with the Geolandar A/T G015 right away. Never have cared for car tires.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is what comes from Yokohama: Yokohama’s Geolandar A/T G015 tire is designed primarily for pickups and SUVs and will work admirably on Wranglers that are used mostly for modest off-road expeditions and daily drivers. The all-terrain tire is engineered for durability and vastly improves traction over most OE tires on any surface in any weather condition, including rain and snow. The G015 meets the Rubber Manufacturers Association’s severe snow service criterion and is stamped with the mountain/snowflake symbol. According to Yokohama, the tire’s exclusive orange oil compound and advanced tread design combine to provide superior handling and road grip.

From the Moab review: The Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 LT285/70R17 tire did quite well on the mixed sand and slick rock surfaces of the Fins and Things Trail in the Moab area.

Since I was riding the Fins & things trail on two wheels 10 days ago, I can say 1st hand that traction is key. Some of the drop-offs feel straight down.

Well, that tire description fits my needs just fine.

Maybe 17" wheels in the future, but for now I'll keep the Subaru wheels. Now for the spare tire issue. I will see if the dealer has a take-off wheel.

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ordering process with Subaru offer a pleasant surprise. Subaru emailed me with an update on my order and the delivery week. :woohoo:

·
Registered
902 Posts
FWIW the windshield and sunroof already blocks 99~100% of UV, and 90~99% for side glasses. When I looked into the IR blocking film they don't seem to actually work to reduce interior heat in summer.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The delivery date has been confirmed by Subaru.

This is the Forester:

Decided after discussion with the lift installer who represents three different Subaru lift kit options, and has lifted a number of Subarus, to go with the Anderson 1 1/2" kit.

The install will include alignment, one re-torque of bolts and alignment check, as well as alternate camber bolts.

The installer will also install the Ecohitch at the same time. Using this trailer lights wiring kit:

Then, the next stop is for the security version of the 3M film. The CRS70. Windshield, front sides and sunroof glass.

Delivery is six week away.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The very lightweight single motorcycle trailer is designed. 13" wheels and torsion suspension allow for smooth ride. Ride-On in tires to balance and prevent flats.

Building my own because of the size of the Ducati and Yamaha I own. A 51" and 53.5" wheelbase and 430 lb. and 290 lb. weights make for an easy pull, and any bigger trailer unnecessary.

Will use the ramp and carrier from my MotoTote hitch carrier because they work so well.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good review of the Geolander G015: https://expeditionportal.com/review-yokohama-geolandar-at-g015/

"Overall, I was very happy with the Yokohama Geolandar AT G015s, they exceeded all of my expectations. I was able to put them through snow, mud, sand, and hard pack dirt roads. The only time I felt it struggling was in deeper snow or mud, but that’s almost expected out of a less aggressive tire. I highly recommend these tires to anyone that is going to be overlanding, they will handle everything you throw at them, while also providing an amazing ride on the asphalt and little effect on fuel economy. I just wish I had these tires mounted on my FJ Cruiser when I embarked on my 12,000 mile trip to Alaska, a journey where this sort of all-terrain excels."

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow!! The new 2020 Outback is appealing. But loaded it comes in about $44k?

The new Mazda CX5 with the twin turbo diesel will be torque central.

Lots of new for 2020.

Sticking with my 2019 Forester though. I have a number of loops around the west planned.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One month until arrival.

Time to order the lift and hitch.

Had someone sit on the back of a 2019 Forester to simulate a trailer and luggage. Well, a LOT of luggage as he is a big guy. The suspension in back settled 1/2". With that in mind, I have decided to order the 1 1/2" front lift and 1 7/8" rear lift. The additional 3/8" won't be noticed, but will be helpful should the trailer tongue weight get up to the 150 pound maximum.

Our 2016 forester Touring has the same size wheels. So, since I will immediately change to the Geolandar G015 tires, the new OE car tires can go over to the 2016. No wasted tires.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe I read too much, as I am now confused about the different approaches of the lift manufacturers.

ReadyLIFT has this to say about the need for sub-frame spacers: https://www.readylift.com/blog/do-you-need-cradle-drops-on-subarus/
I don't understand the 2" front and 1 1/2" rear, because while it makes the tire to fender spacing identical front and back, there isn't provision for rear spring compression from a load.
Located in Henderson, NV I can always drop by if there are issues.

ADF has the above 1 1/2" kit with spacers for the rear sub-frame. There is one local shop that has installed a number of Subaru lift kits from multiple manufacturers.

Subtle Solutions has their 1 1/2" kit with sub-frame spacers. No local installers.

So, when you add LP in Canada, we have three lift manufacturers who include rear sub-frame spacers and one who doesn't. Maybe that distinction alone offers an answer.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Getting close, and ahead of schedule promised.

Note from Subaru this morning: Great news! Your Subaru is one step closer on its journey to you. Your Forester has been loaded on board a special train designed specifically to transport automobiles. Once your vehicle arrives at our distribution center it will be loaded onto a truck and then sent to your dealer.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
About this Discussion
72 Replies
7 Participants
RawLand
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing