Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 14,000 miles the steering on my wife's 2009 Forester has grown increasingly annoying. WAY too much feedback, especially on dirt or broken-up roads. Every bump tugs the steering wheel one way or the other. It feels more like an old solid-axle Ford pickup than a nearly new car. Are others noticing something similar on their '09's? Is there a cure? It's making me really appreciate the steering on my 15 yr old S10 pickup.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
3,098 Posts
Sounds like the steering's relatively tight if your feeling all this feedback.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
2 Posts
At 14,000 miles the steering on my wife's 2009 Forester has grown increasingly annoying. WAY too much feedback, especially on dirt or broken-up roads. Every bump tugs the steering wheel one way or the other. It feels more like an old solid-axle Ford pickup than a nearly new car. Are others noticing something similar on their '09's? Is there a cure? It's making me really appreciate the steering on my 15 yr old S10 pickup.
I'm brand new here looking for an answer to my steering issues. 30k miles on my 2009 and the same kind of symptom but for me it's more like not enough feedback. Totally numb steering once I get to 65MPH, jumps around with every bump, wanders, even 20MPH crosswinds make it impossible to drive > 60 MPH. I saw some posts in the Outback forum where they're having the same problem that I am. It wasn't always like this, it just started gradually a couple months ago. I keep seeing people hanging back and then passing me really fast. :icon_biggrin:

It's been in for an alignment, and then when that didn't fix it they replaced the power steering pump. That worked for 2 days and then back to wandering again. I'm about ready to trade it, but nothing out there compares.

·
Registered
04 FXT
373 Posts
Mine was wobbly as well before I replaced the steering rack with an STI unit. I still feel crosswinds however, but that's because it's a light wagon.

·
Registered
2009 Impreza Outback Sport 4EAT
387 Posts
My steering wheel was off center upon delivery and two trips to the dealer in the first couple months, nothing was done to make it right. Other than that it's been a great car.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
2 Posts
it's not just feeling crosswinds - I've had high profile vehicles for years and this one for 2 years. I'm used to dealing with crosswind. This is a much scarier feeling.

Obviously not a huge issue with the model or others would be talking about it, but impossible to mistake for being pushed around a little bit by the wind which is normal for this car. The problem I'm talking about makes you have to pull over to the right and take it down to 50/60MPH just to keep control, lower if there's a semi anywhere around. And watch out if there's rain or rough road added to the mix.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Pretty sure its mostly alignment and tires. Are you guys getting printouts of the alignment numbers afterward? Most shops and dealers will just put the alignment "to spec" which is a pretty wide range, in the front positive camber is "within spec". Mines been wandering quite a bit lately, but I'm pretty sure its just that my 80,000 mile old struts are pretty shot.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
I have an '09 and average 75-80 mph on my 85 mile trip to and from work and haven't noticed any slop in the steering. Considering the way I drive I would notice a loose steering issue pretty easily but it seems fine to me. Liked suggested I would definitely have your alignment and tire pressure looked at.

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
When I go through a turn, I can play with the steering wheel and still make the the turn. It's kinda weird. Like when I turn I still have 1-2" of moving the steering wheel without the car responding (big bend at about 60 mph). Can't say I enjoy it.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
Wow. Weird. I have 26K on mine and it's still tight as long as the tire pressure is set to 31 psi. Anything over that it it gets really "skittish" - especially on windy days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts