Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just registered for the forum so I apologize if I am not posting this question in the right area.

I just bought my 2014 Forester 2.5i Touring w/CVT. I've got about 650km on it and I've been noticing that the when the CVT "upshifts/downshifts" or changes ratios it starts to tug a bit and is not always the smoothest when "changing" gears. Sometimes the problem is more noticeable than other times and I wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I have yet to contact Subaru because I figured I would let the car "break in" a bit. However, I want to determine if this is normal behaviour before alerting Subaru.

It's my first time owning a CVT and a Subaru.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
The only time you should feel "tugging" or a "not smooth" feeling should be when the engine is cold and the torque converter has not kicked in yet.

When the torque converter does kick in, you can feel a little bit of a tug, as the RPMs drop down.

Plenty of reading, discussion, and debate on this topic already.. here are some links to provide you with several days of reading.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/cvt-learn-love-242474/
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/2-5i-prem-cvt-gentle-bucking-light-acceleration-212890/
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/cvt-pulleys-chain-233586/
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/2014-xt-cvt-hesitation-230466/
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/cvt-issue-2014-forester-174041/
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f81/forester-2014-2-5-i-cvt-driving-instability-165793/

There are some others out there too... use the search bar at the top of the screen and search for CVT (especially useful to do a title only search in the advanced search tab).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your timely reply. I live in Montreal and we have horrible roads so sometimes is not as noticeable because there are so many bumps. I have read through the other threads (thanks for pointing them out). Unfortunately this happens when the engine is warm as well and when the engine "kicks down a gear" to accelerate (usually at lower speeds) and when climbing a hill and the rpms are low. I've noticed that when it is in paddle shift mode, the car is silky smooth.

having less than 700km (~450 miles) is it better to bring it to Subaru's attention right away or to wait till the 1000km mark?

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
Having less than 700km (~450 miles) is it better to bring it to Subaru's attention right away or to wait till the 1000km mark?
It probably would not hurt to take it in... they might give you a re-flash like they did with one of the people in another thread.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh ok thank you!

Yes, the models in Canada are very different from in the US.

I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
23 Posts
Problem with cvt

When I use my forester 2.5i Touring Automatic I have the same problem as you. My transmission does not give me a 1500 rpm as it would be assumed, but rather a 2000 rpm at a speed of 65 mph. I tested a few things. Among other things when I put the transmission in manual mode and I go to the 6th speed decreases to 1500 rpm as it is supposed to be. As soon as I put him back in automatic mode it is as if it downshift and the rpm goes back to 2000. Here, the temperature is about -15 Celsius. To go to work I drive about 10 miles and nothing suits during this time.

·
Registered
2014 Forrester Auto
84 Posts
I have a Canadian 2.5 with paddles........... I also notice a off throttle drag at lower speeds...as if the torque converter is not releasing.....I am used to it now, and I am not sure if its really bad or anything to worry about.....The feeling seems to go away a higher speeds....Sort of reminds me of a manual transmission when you let off the accelerator, but maybe not as pronounced.....

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
1,297 Posts
What do you mean by the torque converter "not kicking in" because the engine is cold.
How can the torque converter not work?
Is that possible, how could you stop at a signal, and take off again, on a cold engine, if the torque converter is not functioning?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium CVT
53 Posts
Here in Florida we run the AC most of the time, we had a "cold spell" (temp in the 70'sF) and I turned off the AC and the bucking/surging almost went away but not completely. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never took my car into the dealer and the CVT seems to have fixed itself. The break in period is finished and I am at about 1700km and the CVT is very smooth!

Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium CVT
53 Posts
Judging from where you live, you're not using the AC at this time of year. Try turning the AC on and see if the bucking returns and let us know. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5iLimited CVT
242 Posts
I find it very strange that Canadian models are different than USA models. Does anyone know why this is the case?

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT 8 speed
113 Posts
I find it very strange that Canadian models are different than USA models. Does anyone know why this is the case?
Different Markets & different companies. SOA is completely separate from SOC.

And due to the different population bases we don't get as many options as you guys. it may come standard on our 3 models, but we cannot pick an choose options for each model. Even when ordering a new build straight from the factory, we can only basically get 3 models, the options are typically dealer installed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts