Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a lucky escape, nearly travelled 100 miles to look at an 05 newshape 2.5XT when by chance I happened to check the specification. Newshape XT don't have a sunroof, you have to pay out extra for a XTE to get one.If there's one thing I love it's a sun roof.

Back to trawling Autotrader.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
..and the selling point of the forester is the size of the damn thing !!

:)

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
oldgit said:
I agree - but why do our North Americam friends call it a "moon roof"?
I think moon roof's are the type that open up

Sun roof are ones that don't

Correct me I'm wrong :-o

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
Symantics:

Sunroofs pivot from the front and open in the rear. This is what many aftermarket Sunroofs do. Moonroofs slide open. MY90 Legacy LS wagon did both and was advertised as a Sunroof/Moonroof.

My wife's 04 Highlander does both also but is only called a sunroof.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
never heard the term moonroof until I started accessing US forums. I think it's a colloquialism...

Steve

·
Registered
249 Posts
We just call them all sunroofs - no matter where they pivot/open etc. Was it Churchill who said the UK and US were divided by one language - English?
Still be boring if we were all the same.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
oldgit said:
We just call them all sunroofs - no matter where they pivot/open etc. Was it Churchill who said the UK and US were divided by one language - English?
Still be boring if we were all the same.
Or in my case in Vietnam when a big black said to me "Hey buddy, how come we speak the same lingo yet we don't understand each other?", we both had a laugh and shared another beer. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

V

·
0 Posts
You say sunroof and I say moonroof...

It's this way - sunroofs were the first, when you could not see through them. Thus they were only opened for the sunshine. When they became factory made from glass, they were marketed as moonroofs because you could also see through them at night even though they were closed.

At least that is the way I remember it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts