Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 subaru forester manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Subaru forester with a manual transmission (2.5 engine blew a rod) ,I found a 2001 forester "L":icon_wink: with a good 2.5 engine and automatic transmission , my questions are,will this engine be the same replacement and what will I need to do to adapt this engine to my manual transmission beings that it is coming out of an automatic tranny set up?

G

·
You should swap the old manual transmission over to the new engine. Doing an AT swap would be too difficult because you'd need to swap all the electrical components like the 4EAT harness and TCU.

·
Registered
2000 subaru forester manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
the engine that I am looking at is in a 2001 forester L with an automatic tranny,My forester has a manual tranny,is there any recommendations or difference on spleen shaft or pilot bearing?and then what about any vacuum lines if that need apply.NO I do not want to swap to automatic ,will stay with manual tranny.

G

·
Nope, just remove the automatic from the new engine and bolt the manual on. Use your old manual starter and flywheel bolts. You might want to do engine maintenance while the engine is out (head gaskets, timing belt, clutch, etc.)

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 4EAT
574 Posts
^x2 on engine maintenance. It should be a simple swap, just reuse flywheel, clutch and starter from your old engine. And by reuse I mean new clutch, resurface your flywheel and get your starter tested. If it is out, might as well replace it now than later.

G

·
Oh, and DO NOT use the bell housing bolts to "pull" the engine and trans together. If the clutch is misaligned, you'll bend the main shaft rear brake plate, leading to popping out of 4th gear and eventually walking the shaft and destroying your transmission.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS auto
640 Posts
Oh, and DO NOT use the bell housing bolts to "pull" the engine and trans together. If the clutch is misaligned, you'll bend the main shaft rear brake plate, leading to popping out of 4th gear and eventually walking the shaft and destroying your transmission.
Sounds like this knowledge comes from experience, and was a tough lesson to learn

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
99 Forester L
93 Posts
There are two things you need to do to the automatic engine connecting to the manual transmission.

1) Swap the timing belt guard over. This is just above the crankshaft pulley. It keeps the timing belt from coming off the crank pulley on a high rev or missed shift. My own engines have wear marks from this happening on my cars, and I don't recall ever over-revving.

2) I think - someone confirm - you will need to add a pilot bearing to the rear of the automatic crankshaft. Every other engine I have ever worked on has needed the pilot bearing added - It fits inside the bore that registers the torque converter. It is usually an either-or proposition.

If you do need a pilot bearing, and don't add one, you will likely have horrible vibration problems and eventually break the input shaft to the tranny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts