Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester cvt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a new Forester with the 2.5 and I'm curious to know about any quirks of this engine. ??

Sounds like it's a decent engine but I know most engines have their own issues that it pays to be aware of. Excessive oil usage, timing chain / belt issues, leaking intakes, head gasket issues etc etc.

I want a drivetrain that with normal maintenance I can look to get 200k+ miles out of. After having an 07 Accord (4 cylinder) for the last 6 years the bar has been set very high.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i 6 spd
433 Posts
I'm considering buying a new Forester with the 2.5 and I'm curious to know about any quirks of this engine. ??

Sounds like it's a decent engine but I know most engines have their own issues that it pays to be aware of. Excessive oil usage, timing chain / belt issues, leaking intakes, head gasket issues etc etc.

I want a drivetrain that with normal maintenance I can look to get 200k+ miles out of. After having an 07 Accord (4 cylinder) for the last 6 years the bar has been set very high.

Thanks.
The FB engine is a relatively new design, so most of your questions haven't had an opportunity to demonstrate answers. Possible exception to oil consumption which seems to be a case by case basis with a Feb. 2013 change in oil rings as a possible solution. The block redesign should have taken care of past head gasket issues on normally aspirated (NA) engines, but only time will tell.

·
Registered
2018 Premium M6
348 Posts

Thanks.
Well, my 2014 is consuming a quart of 0w-20 oil approximately every 3500 commuter miles (50/50 highway). On a 1500 mile strictly highway trip it had consumed just over a half quart of 0w-20 in 550 70-mph miles.

So far, other than oil consumption, a stumble under certain conditions, and general noisiness there are no other mechanical issues.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Manual
3 Posts
Same story

I have a 2014 Premium with a 6 MT and just over 5,500 miles. The oil consumption issue popped up around 2,500 and I added a quart and then had it changed at 3,500. No issues since, but it's only been 2,000 miles.

The only other issue I'd even mention is that it does take a minute after the first start of the day to warm up and get settled. My wife said that one time it took a full 5 seconds to turnover on a 32 degree day after sitting outside for 6 hours. From what I've read, that's not unheard of for a boxer engine.

·
Registered
2014 Forester cvt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

While the oil consumption, occassional hard start and engine noise as described in a few posts aren't deal killers it will make me think hard about buying one.

To be fair though, my rock solid 99 Tahoe with 170k miles has it's quirks (intake reseals, fuel pumps and water pumps every 60-80km miles) but has been an awesome vehicle.

Over analysis paralysis....

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,779 Posts
The hard starts, to be clear, are on the 2.0 not the 2.5.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
84 Posts
The engine noise is a safety feature really - seen pedestrians actiually spotting me because of that. :cool:
Anyway, listen to whatever you test drive after you are done (the engine should be hot). Test drive more than one before you take the dilvery so you would know "the norm".
Engine on my Forrester became smoother after 1k, before that, it was exactly as the other testdrives - you can hear the sewing machine if you are focusing to listen to just that, but it appears to be just normal noise; IMO what makes it ubnormal is if it goes too loud and it can be clearly heard while driving. As a new subaru owner I can be wrong though.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
126 Posts
I am coming up on 13,000 miles on my 2.5 CVT premium.

I get a very slight amount of clatter upon the first few seconds after start up. The A/c compressor made a loud buzz when first engaged during the summer.

My engine used an additional 1 quart of oil so far. Fuel consumption is less then my previous daily driver, a 2007 Camry with a 2.4 liter. I find it very impressive that I am always getting better mileage with the Forrester than I did with the Camry. The Forester is heavier, always revs higher and is not the most aerodynamic.

The FB25 engine is pretty accessible. Oil changes are quick and easy with a Fumoto drain valve. I dont even have to jack it up.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premiun 6MT 6MT
98 Posts
Fumoto drain valve Size Required?

I am coming up on 13,000 miles on my 2.5 CVT premium.

I get a very slight amount of clatter upon the first few seconds after start up. The A/c compressor made a loud buzz when first engaged during the summer.

My engine used an additional 1 quart of oil so far. Fuel consumption is less then my previous daily driver, a 2007 Camry with a 2.4 liter. I find it very impressive that I am always getting better mileage with the forester than I did with the Camry. The Forester is heavier, always revs higher and is not the most aerodynamic.

The FB25 engine is pretty accessible. Oil changes are quick and easy with a Fumoto drain valve. I dont even have to jack it up.
Can you tell me the model nuber of the valve to orrder for the 2.5LFB?

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
239 Posts
My Forester has 1950 miles on the odometer at this time. I check the oil weekly just to see if I need to add any at this point. So far, no consumption, which is good. I have read where many have had to add a quart of oil between oil changes.I was at the dealer a few months ago, to have my door moldings installed and decided to grab a quart of the 0-20 Subaru Synthetic oil from the parts department, after reading about oil consumption issues with some Subaru's. The parts guy gave me a quart of the 0-20 Subaru Synthetic oil and didn't charge me for it. Although, I purchased my Subaru from them a few weeks prior to that, I thought it was decent not to get charged for the oil. I am hoping my Subaru uses no oil between changes, time will tell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts