Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1st to 4th grind?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Hardrvin 
#1 ·
04 XT MT 61K. My transmission does not want to go from 1st to 4th shift. When I try to go directly from 1st to 4th it grinds. So I tried getting up to speed in first and drift for a second (clutch depressed) and it still grinds when going to 4th. So, I will not do it anymore but is this a sign of a problem? I checked my tranny fluid and it is a clear yellow but it is right at the low line. Also, sometimes it shifts from gear to gear very smoothly and there are times its a little tough to engage. Any ideas.

#3 ·
regular shifting is fine. a little tough to get in gear espically from reverse to first don't know why? Fluid level?) but usually pretty smooth. Yesterday I pulled out from a stop sign at was getting up to speed and I saw an officer of da law and since I was going as fast as the posted speed limit (25) I just went from 1st to 4th and it had a little grind So I did a little experimenting and no matter how fast or slow I came up to speed or how long I drifted w/ the clutch depressed it still would grind a little when I put it in 4th.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.