Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X SE
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the new 2010 X for a month now and never took it offroad until today. I decided to take it to the beach. 4wd drive only and soft sand sign posted on the entrance to the trail. It made it through with no problems. I fiqured I'd get to the beach and find a bunch of lifted Super Duty trucks out there. I had to laugh when I got to the beach. No trucks or other 4x4's just the three Subaru's which included mine. None of them stuck. It was fun. Tomorrow i'm taking to kids swimming ata the river bar. A little wheeling is needed to get there also. Can't wait. This thing is so cool. :woohoo:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
209 Posts
I've had the new 2010 X for a month now and never took it offroad until today. I decided to take it to the beach. 4wd drive only and soft sand sign posted on the entrance to the trail. It made it through with no problems. I fiqured I'd get to the beach and find a bunch of lifted Super Duty trucks out there. I had to laugh when I got to the beach. No trucks or other 4x4's just the three Subaru's which included mine. None of them stuck. It was fun. Tomorrow i'm taking to kids swimming ata the river bar. A little wheeling is needed to get there also. Can't wait. This thing is so cool. :woohoo:
Nice! I would like to have a beach that I could drive on close! You lucky illegitimate offspring! :p

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X SE
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! I would like to have a beach that I could drive on close! You lucky illegitimate offspring! :p
Yeah We do have it good here. The sand is hard on vehicles. I haven't owned a 4x4 or AWD in quite awhile. I have been stuck a few times in this same area in a larger. 4x. The rig that was pretty capable in the sand was my 1989 Izusu Trooper. That thing rocked the sand. I actually went out there today to check out the Jetty's to the entrance of Humboldt bay,so I could start doing some fishing. 1st off though I needed a vehicle to get me there. I think I have found that. :Banane35:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got my Forester a few months ago and kept it clean for only a few days before heading out to Death Valley to spend 60 miles off road breaking in my new ride. It passed its first test just fine getting me and my pup out to the "racetrack playa" for a night of camping. It's already played on several other dirt roads, streams, and mud puddles around the west with many more to come! :)

·
Registered
07 XT
70 Posts
No photos? Didn't happen! :N_poke:

This is what I was up to when I first took my then nearly new Forester offroad

Luckly, there where quite a few fellow Subie drivers to get me out of trouble...

Good fun, though! Enjoy yours!!

Cheers,
Pedro.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
209 Posts

Luckly, there where quite a few fellow Subie drivers to get me out of trouble...

Cheers,
Pedro.
Stuck Austin Powers Style! :biggrin:

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts

Cheers,
Pedro.
Think I would get a 4Runner or something with Low Range before trying that. Or at least not do it when it was wet. Looks like you had fun with everyone though, and that is what counts the most! :Banane35:

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Woody - you'd be so surprised what your subaru can handle. I don't think a low range is necessary in that situation, just judging on the photo. Looks slippery as snot no matter what gear you're in! FUN

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
once you get off camber, all bets are off. i agree the forester does real well, but I have had it on just wet grass sideways (off camber) and both upper wheels were spinning with little forward progress. i didn't get stuck, though. the best thing low range is good for is keeping from beating you and your vehicle to death b/c you don't have to have as much speed to keep from stalling in steep terrain.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
209 Posts
once you get off camber, all bets are off. i agree the forester does real well, but I have had it on just wet grass sideways (off camber) and both upper wheels were spinning with little forward progress. i didn't get stuck, though. the best thing low range is good for is keeping from beating you and your vehicle to death b/c you don't have to have as much speed to keep from stalling in steep terrain.
With the XT this shouldn’t happened since it has limited slip differential in the back.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
With the XT this shouldn’t happened since it has limited slip differential in the back.
Well, even if it had LSD, it could still slide off like that, but with skilled driving, it's much less likely...of course, when it does happen, it's usually stuck worse.
But you're right, not having LSD is often like having only 2 wheel drive, with front left and right rear spinning freely (or?)
-Quick

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
you may better know the exact years LSDs were available. from what i can recollect, they were somewhat scarce and at some point were scrapped when the independent wheel computer-controlled braking was implemented. Subaru only used them on certain models in certain years.

if it was a direct fit for my X and cheap enough I would be interested in doing a retrofit it even though the LSD designs Subaru used were only marginally better than stock. my '04 X does not have the traction control (or whatever Subaru calls it).

now if only there were some true "locker" options; that would be sweet.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
you may better know the exact years LSDs were available. from what i can recollect, they were somewhat scarce and at some point were scrapped when the independent wheel computer-controlled braking was implemented. Subaru only used them on certain models in certain years.

if it was a direct fit for my X and cheap enough I would be interested in doing a retrofit it even though the LSD designs Subaru used were only marginally better than stock. my '04 X does not have the traction control (or whatever Subaru calls it).

now if only there were some true "locker" options; that would be sweet.
What I wouldn't give.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X SE
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's definetly a workout,and once your in it, you can't just pull over, or go around it. It's a good test of your skills, and a good evaluation of your vehicles capability's. It's also nice to have another capable vehicle and driver, just in case. I've done more damage in the sand to my past vehicles than I ever did in the mud, like hitting a clump of saw grass on a small dune at around 50 mph. pushed the front drive-line up into the exhaust pipe. Had to keep the truck reved up ,and only had two wheel drive to get out of some very soft sand. We made it, but the girls we had with us thought we were nuts,and bailed when we got back to the paved rode. Oh well their loss. Fast forward 30 year's, I'm a lot more mellow now. My daughter still has flashbacks from a year ago when I buried my Super Duty to the axels in soft sand at the river. We got out by digging a whole bunch and lowering the air PSI in the tires to almost flat,and then used all of the old V-10 to nget out. She reminded me of that today when I took the Foz down a 4 wheel drive only trail to the river. This time no drama, just fun.

·
Registered
07 XT
70 Posts
Well, my XT doesn't have the LSD... Would be nice, maybe a plan for the future :icon_wink:

Don't think that was the major issue in that situation, though. I was trying to get my left wheels over the middle hump so I could avoid the deepest side of a puddle just ahead. After a few goes (it was reaaally slippery), I finally got the front wheel over, but got off the accelerator on instinct. With no torque going to any wheel, the rear just slipped sideways, turning me 90 degrees. Put it down to inexperience.

Recovery was a little easier than I could expect. In this case, it was a bonus the track was so wet.

Cheers,
Pedro.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
305 Posts
I've only had my Foz off-road three times- all within the first couple months of ownership. I went up an ancient fire trail that only quads and woods buggies had been using. Got a few "brush stripes" in the clear coat, and a big dent in the left muffler as proof :biggrin:. Can't try that trail again, as there is now a 5 foot deep sink hole half way to the top!:icon_mad:
The other trail I used is now completely closed. PA Game lands on either side. State sold the timber- and had the loggers drop huge trees across the road every 500 feet or so to permanently close it. The township that owns the road says "It can stay closed-we didn't maintain it anyhow" It was the last open public 4X4 trail in my county.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts