Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester S
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought this info may be helpful to anyone (like me) who is buying their first previously owned vehicle here in Canada (Alberta anyway).
I am not wanting to open a debate here, simply spell out the process as a guide for people ... this is what worked for me, and I would have found this info helpful.

#1 Find the vehicle you like.( I used AMA's on-line tools to get value guides, and this forum to familiarize myself with weak areas of different models/years)

#2 Check it out by driving it, and/or arrange an inspection, then negotiate price. (You are covered on the owners insurance if you are driving with their permission)

#3 Pay the vendor a holding deposit and use 2 copies of a double signed receipt which indicates that this non-refundable deposit IS refundable under certain conditions including if the vehicle 'fails' a title search or inspection. (I have one if anyone wants it) Remember to write down the VIN you'll need it for a title search.

#4 Get a title search done. (I used AMA CarProof on-line in 1 hour for $51)

#5 Prepare 2 copies of Bill of Sale, and get the cash out of the bank.

#6 Meet up with vendor again, exchange cash for keys, service history etc., sign and exchange 2 copies of Bill of Sale.

#7 Arrange your insurance. (Bill of Sale needed) It is worth noting that if you insure with AMA, they only require an inspection if the vehicle is coming from another province, or is more than 12 years old.

#8 Arrange Registration Plate. ( Insurance and Bill of Sale needed)

#9 Go and fit the new registration plate on your 'new to you' ride.

#10 Enjoy.

I already had AMA membership but would recommend it as it gives free access to 3 different price guides (black book, gold book, and VMR Canada) and using their office in Willowpark calgary was a pleasure.
Oh and NO I don't work for AMA, actually I am a life coach ; )

Add to this as you see fit, and I hope it helps someone.

Better & better,
Bart

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
to add to your post...
- Ontario doesn't require a bill of sale to insure a vehicle, just the VIN#.
- Basic insurance and registration will get you a temporary 10-day license plate here to allow you time to get a safety check and e-test if applicable (regional and vehicle age dependant)

·
Registered
2011 Forester
15 Posts
I thought this info may be helpful to anyone (like me) who is buying their first previously owned vehicle here in Canada (Alberta anyway).
I am not wanting to open a debate here, simply spell out the process as a guide for people ... this is what worked for me, and I would have found this info helpful.

#1 Find the vehicle you like.( I used AMA's on-line tools to get value guides, and this forum to familiarize myself with weak areas of different models/years)

#2 Check it out by driving it, and/or arrange an inspection, then negotiate price. (You are covered on the owners insurance if you are driving with their permission)

#3 Pay the vendor a holding deposit and use 2 copies of a double signed receipt which indicates that this non-refundable deposit IS refundable under certain conditions including if the vehicle 'fails' a title search or inspection. (I have one if anyone wants it) Remember to write down the VIN you'll need it for a title search.

#4 Get a title search done. (I used AMA CarProof on-line in 1 hour for $51)

#5 Prepare 2 copies of Bill of Sale, and get the cash out of the bank.

#6 Meet up with vendor again, exchange cash for keys, service history etc., sign and exchange 2 copies of Bill of Sale.

#7 Arrange your insurance. (Bill of Sale needed) It is worth noting that if you insure with AMA, they only require an inspection if the vehicle is coming from another province, or is more than 12 years old.

#8 Arrange Registration Plate. ( Insurance and Bill of Sale needed)

#9 Go and fit the new registration plate on your 'new to you' ride.

#10 Enjoy.

I already had AMA membership but would recommend it as it gives free access to 3 different price guides (black book, gold book, and VMR Canada) and using their office in Willowpark calgary was a pleasure.
Oh and NO I don't work for AMA, actually I am a life coach ; )

Add to this as you see fit, and I hope it helps someone.

Better & better,
Bart

Hello Bart,

I am about to purchase a used Forester. You mentioned in Item #3 a double signed receipt and that you have a copy of one that could be posted or sent. I would be most interested in seeing what this looks like.

Also - do you recommend negotiating a price before or after an inspection? If before - it would be conditional on a clean inspection.

Thanks - looking to do the deal in the next day or two.

beaubali

1 - 3 of 3 Posts