Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I feel like I should begin with a brief explanation for my actions; so here goes.. I recieved a call informing me that my wife was being transported via ambulnace to the hospital and these people had my son. He is three. My wife was at the gym and the staff thought she was having a heart attack. I am now in full panic mode and keep in mind the gym is 20 plus miles from home. I start the car my 2006 MT forester XT. Cold engine and all I take of as fast as possible to get the frantic three year old away from the strangers. As you could imagine all sorts of crazy thought are going through my head. This trip would normally take about thirty five minutes under normal driving conditions I cover the distance in about twenty.

I checked my garamin GPS unit this morning and the highest speed it had recorded was in excess of 100 mph. I certainly do not condone this type of behavior but under the circumstances but It's what I did....

The short of the story is the wife is fine, it ended up being a food alergy that was much worse than normal considering she went on the treadmill almost immediately after eating the suspected food. This made the poison enter in the blood stream quicker and hightened the reaction. The three year old was in a day care at the gym and was thankfully unaware of the situation that mommy was dealing with. When I arrived he was watching TV and asked me why I was there. I put him in the safty seat and headed for the hospital.

While engauging in this aggressive driving I noted several things about the new car, first after several aggressive launches the smell coming from my clutch was just awful, I believe I definitely shotened it life during this event. Another thing I noticed was the fade in the brakes. I know I was tough on them but only for a short time and I definetly noticed alot of fade.

I was quite happy with the handling of my XT even on the stock tires. The car only has 3500 miles on it and I will trade up to a more spirited tire when the geolanders tire, no pun intended. I will be looking into at least an upgraded brake pad much sooner than that. I was using using brakes hard enough at points to get into the ABS, but all things considered I feel this is my cars weak point.

Another thing that makes me crazy is the wind noise. I find myself leaving the driver side window down just a hair when i put the car in the garage and when I forget to do that and just close the door and drive I get a terrible amount of wind noise, even at sub-highway speed. I think that the air seal is enough to keep the windows out just a bit.

If you have any thought on these subject please let me know. If you made it this far, thanks for time and understanding. I realize that driving like that on public roads is not a good idea so be gentle.

Gregg

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
You want your brakes to feel good, get some stainless steel braided lines, bleed the system with a good fluid (of your choice) and you'll have a whole new (and much better feeling) system. Should make your brake fade almost non-existant. Just doing the pads and you'll have the same issues, and maybe even worse. A set of slotted, dimpled, cross drilled, or any combination there of rotors will help (since they off gas quicker) but not as much as the lines and good fluid.

Oh ya, and welcome to the boards. This is a good place to hang out, learn, and meet other like minded individuals.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
greggsfxt said:
I checked my garamin GPS unit this morning and the highest speed it had recorded was in excess of 100 mph. I certainly do not condone this type of behavior but under the circumstances but It's what I did....
Gregg,

I think if anyone of us was put in the same situation they would have done the same.

My parents live miles away from me and they rushed my mum in one night with a suspected heart attack and I dont think my speedo went below a ton all the way there. One tank of gas lasted me 87 miles!

Glad to hear the missus is okay

mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Wraith said:
You want your brakes to feel good, get some stainless steel braided lines, bleed the system with a good fluid (of your choice) and you'll have a whole new (and much better feeling) system.
Is there a simple explanation for a brake noob as to why ss lines would make such an improvement? I'd also like to upgrade my brakes at some point, but don't really know where to start... I can understand better pads, fluid, and rotors making a difference, but why the lines? I'm just not understanding why the lines themselves would make such a difference. Maybe allow less expansion in the system or something?

Yeah, I know I need to start perusing the Brakes forum, but since you mentioned it here, figured I'd just throw out the quick question.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
lunajett said:
I'm just not understanding why the lines themselves would make such a difference. Maybe allow less expansion in the system or something?

Yeah, I know I need to start perusing the Brakes forum, but since you mentioned it here, figured I'd just throw out the quick question.
Just read what you wrote. You answered your own question. ;-)

(The simple explanation)

·
Registered
2005 FXT
353 Posts
Greg
We’re thankful for the happy ending.
Maybe your clutch isn’t hurt that badly. When my car was new, I often got clutch smell, (Ou-due-clutch Number 5). Now it’s a rarity. Granted, this is my first manual and I was somewhat hard on it, but I think that its newness was a factor. Anyone else?

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
lunajett said:
Is there a simple explanation for a brake noob as to why ss lines would make such an improvement? I'm just not understanding why the lines themselves would make such a difference. Maybe allow less expansion in the system or something?

The lines that are on your car now are rubber. Like a baloon when pressure is added things want to expand. Add some heat and it gets worse. The braid or SS lines (depending on your location) will not expand. Therefore no more fade. A good syn fluid will also help with that. There are different boiling points of fluids. The higher the bioling point the less likely you'll experience "fade" under hard driving conditions.
There's alot more to it then that I'm sure but you get the jist... :wink:

BTW, I think the smell you were describing was your brakes and not your clutch. They smell very similar. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
First off welcome Gregg, I'm glad everything worked out in the end but I have a feeling the event may have taken more years off your life than the clutch :lol: I know I would have been in a panic in that situation too.

As far as the brakes have a look here for some info:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1122

·
FXT Alumnus
662 Posts
Your tire grip is also a factor in braking. I Auto X my FXT originally with Falken ST115's TW of 320, ABS had to be unlplugged, it engaged way too much and frequently. Now with Falken 615's TW 200, I put the fuse back in for the ABS, it's actually usable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

Thanks guys,

I will look into your suggestions when time allows. I often only get small blocks of time to spend on the computer so I check in often just to read mostly but hopefully time will free up and allow for more posting and information swapping.

As you know time id likee money never enough.

The wife was kind enough to allow me to get the turbo enen if she doesn't get it. So upgrades will be when stock parts need replacing mostly, but SS brake lines will come much sooner. I jost hope they aren't that pricey.

Thanks for the good thought about my wife and the situation. I think I found a great site.

Gregg

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a garmin streetpilot 2610 with the latest firmware. I think the top speed is bugged because I get like 199MPH sometimes...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts