Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
OOo he's done? I thought they couldn't figure out how to do the tune??

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
ah ok yeah i think i read the rear end but never saw the pics :lol:

there is some trouble in tune town supposedly.

·
Registered
2003 XTi Cross Sports 4EAT :(
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah ok yeah i think i read the rear end but never saw the pics :lol:

there is some trouble in tune town supposedly.
I just read some more, mostly skimming, but it sounds like the issue for him was he loaded the stock map for the Australian Imprezas which have larger injectors than the Foz and he was stalling at low RPM, but there was a different map they suggested he try. I dunno, guess we will have to see how it goes. If it works out for him, I'm totally doing this.

Have you guys heard what the Raptor Supercharger sounds like? :icon_eek:
When the hood is down it's really not all that bad, I kinda like the sound of a supercharger when one gives it the beans.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
from their website it's $4100 for the 6 psi non-intercooled setup that claims ~215 hp? yikes, and there's no price for their intercooled stage 2 setup that claims ~240hp?

that much money would make an easy ~350 on an xt, that would already pretty much outperform those supercharger #'s with simple bolt-ons anyways.

just sayin' :\

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yea, it's not the most economic, but neither is the bolt on turbo kit that 2.5x_sleeper runs but he did it!

Besides this supercharger kit is stupid silly to install. Once forester_007 figures our the correct map and tune, I can do it all myself where doing a turbo swap would be more after labor as I certainly can't do anything of that magnitude on my own.

Here are some of my previous thoughts on it from my journal and what other members thought on the subject:
It is a little less expensive than getting an STI engine swap which would be more power in the end, but the supercharger adds power and is monkey easy to install and if there is ever an issue you just pull a belt off for the most part and are back to running N/A. The boost max is around 6psi, I'd estimate close to the power gains Bobby got with his AVO turbo kit, likely a bit less, but way easier to install. I contacted Raptor and they said that they have a few Forester owners who got the kit and it worked without issue basically plug and play.
I say go with the s/c. Different is cool. I mean, there are a ton of sti swapped or sti turbo foresters. Stand out! Be unique!
This sounds great :cool:
Wow that would be awesome if you got the Raptor Kit. I wonder if any of the Forester's running the kit are members on the forum?
^ I would like to talk to some Foz owners with the kit but so far I don't know of any here.

The supercharger is pretty pricey but if I set aside a couple hundred a month, I'll be there in no time. I just gotta cut out some of my other expenses. I don't really see a reason not to do it, some say it is hard on the engine and it won't last as long and while I plan to keep my car till it runs to the ground, if that includes eventually needing a new engine, so be it. I figure my engine is fairly young at around 68k so adding the supercharger now won't be too bad, I assume as my engine ages, especially with the SC it might not last as long as it would without, but these Subaru 2.5 engines really aren't too expensive to be replaced IMO.

Yea I could do a STI swap and such but my engine is running great just less power than I'd like, and this is kind of a "cool/because I can" upgrade. How many Subies are out there with superchargers vs turbos. Not many, it's unique. While many would disagree and say it is a waste and my reasoning is silly, I don't really see it that way. Though in a year's time which is likely when I'd have the extra cash to spend, I might change my mind, who knows.
I agree, be different.

Sounds like a great idea and when its done, I will make a special trip to WA just to see it if you dont mind:icon_cool:

·
Registered
707 Posts
i'm not trying to convert your or anyone else checking out this thread that an xt is the bestest thing evar. and i agree with you a s/c forester is different and even i would give you some props for that.

i just see it this way:
ALL the money you've spent on your car already + ALL the money you want to spend on getting that supercharger in = basically a stock xt. except with an xt you'd be at square one. silly subaru terminology example, but you'd be "stage 4" with your supercharger while a stock xt would be "stage 1" with every avenue still open for the xt and more power.

i'm saying the money you want to spend on the kit should just be used towards selling/trading your car up for an xt. once you ride in a 300hp forester you will want that next anyways hehe.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,756 Posts
from their website it's $4100 for the 6 psi non-intercooled setup that claims ~215 hp? yikes, and there's no price for their intercooled stage 2 setup that claims ~240hp?

that much money would make an easy ~350 on an xt, that would already pretty much outperform those supercharger #'s with simple bolt-ons anyways.

just sayin' :\
That's engine hp... kinda like what the factory uses when they publish the vehicle hp... looks better than wheel hp. :wink:

engine = 160 kw = 214 hp
wheel = 118 kw = 158 hp

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports
603 Posts
im also a fan of supers over turbos due to the way it boosts the engine... i think i would switch an xt to a super x(s)t if i could find a way to do it right... you know have it be an upgrade... I purchased the x version though because i wanted to use 87 octane so anything that would bump me up over 89 would be a no go...(for now muahahahah)

·
Registered
707 Posts
That's engine hp... kinda like what the factory uses when they publish the vehicle hp... looks better than wheel hp. :wink:

engine = 160 kw = 214 hp
wheel = 118 kw = 158 hp

Bobby...
i realize that and am being very optimistic and open minded about the #'s on their site. unless you can copy every variable when they dyno'd those published #'s you may in fact be higher or lower on your own car in the end. it's still not cost effective compared to a stock xt IMO.

im also a fan of supers over turbos due to the way it boosts the engine... i think i would switch an xt to a super x(s)t if i could find a way to do it right... you know have it be an upgrade... I purchased the x version though because i wanted to use 87 octane so anything that would bump me up over 89 would be a no go...(for now muahahahah)
how is it better? a supercharger is parasitic setup run off a drive belt/pulley causing increased load on the engine. a turbo is free energy run off the exhaust gases.

if your only concern is what octane fuel you run in your car then you should stay away from forced induction all together.

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports
603 Posts
how is it better? a supercharger is parasitic setup run off a drive belt/pulley causing increased load on the engine. a turbo is free energy run off the exhaust gases.
if your only concern is what octane fuel you run in your car then you should stay away from forced induction all together.
i didnt say it was better i said i like it better... its the lack of lag or power spikes that i like

i am staying away from forced induction that is why i bought an x and not an xt ( i would love an xt but at this stage in my life i cannot afford one.)

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,756 Posts
i realize that and am being very optimistic and open minded about the #'s on their site. unless you can copy every variable when they dyno'd those published #'s you may in fact be higher or lower on your own car in the end. it's still not cost effective compared to a stock xt IMO.
Keep in mind I installed an AVO Turbo Kit in my '03 X, so I completely agree that it's "NOT" cost effective! With that said, if you have the money, have the skills & want to do it, go for it! :cool:

As to the hp that they give on the Raptor Superchargers website, it sounds correct to me. You just need to look at the real world numbers, the wheel hp & torque, since that's what really matters & what you'll feel! :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
707 Posts
it's hard not to keep in mind what you do to your cars. you link and re-link everything excessively in all your posts.

and again i am looking at the real world #'s and $'s.

raptor stg1 - 30% power gain (no octane specificed, so it probably needs a good tune after install anyways)
cobb stg1 - 29% gain (93 octane OTS map)
raptor stg2 - 45% gain (ditto stg1 kit)
cobb stg2 - 36% gain (93 octane + all vf39 OTS maps)

raptor stg1 - $4100
raptor stg2 - no price
cobb - $595 new for any and all maps

but what's the real cost? can the raptor be tuned after the fact? or can it only run the generic map it comes with. who can tune it? that will cost more money obviously. plus you'd still be limited to the boost you can run because of the NA block. it can and will only make so much power before you have to crack the block and build that up. i can easily see $5000 being spent on this kit once it's running after everything is said an done.

cobb + generic downpipe = $900 maybe less if you get them both used? that's a proven bolt on upgrade that will make more power than the raptor kit would even come close to out of the box. plus it's basically the msrp cost of the raptor kit cheaper! again that money could be spent on the cost of upgrading to an xt in the first place and leave you so many more opportunities down the road modifying it later.

so i see the xt making more hp and torque for cheaper. i'm sure that's something the owner will feel not only in the seat of his pants, but also in the back pocket of his pants too.

·
Registered
707 Posts
ok, but then why do it? lol i'm not trying to start a flame war, far from it. just trying to talk some sense/cents.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bottom line, yes the turbo will yield more power, at a lower cost and a lot easier if you start with an XT.

For us NA guys who want more power but not wanting to trade in for an XT or do a turbo engine swap, money aside... I think that we would do this because of the "being different" factor, the "cool" factor, and the "because I/we can" factor.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts