Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X SE
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mY NEW 2010 FOZ will have 1000 miles on it tomorrow. I've been thinking of changing the oil and filter,due to possible metal suspended in oil during the break-in period. I've done this before on a new engine,and that motor lasted forever,and I've also not done on my Dodge Magnum R/T, and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. It might be overkill, but I would probably feel better. Any thought's on this ? Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Its cheap, and can't hurt, so why not? I did 3 changes in the first 10,000 kms, then have followed the 6,000 kms interval. Typical for all new vehicles I have owned.

Edited for correct info on change interval, bad me.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X SE
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its cheap, and can't hurt, so why not? I did 3 changes in the first 10,000 kms, then have followed the 7,500 kms interval. Typical for all new vehicles I have owned.
Yes your right.

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
I believe in the "old school" 1k at first change 3k there after. What the heck? cheap insurance on taking care of what you've worked so hard for.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
I did 1k than 3k and than every 3-4k I am at 15k now and switching to synthetic.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Same here I changed it at 1000mi then every 3000 or earlier since. Ive only got 12,200 on the motor so far, but it isn't burning any oil. :woohoo:

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Same here I changed it at 1000mi then every 3000 or earlier since. Ive only got 12,200 on the motor so far, but it isn't burning any oil. :woohoo:
Mine has 56,000 kms, all synthetic except for what it came with from the factory, and has yet to burn a single drop. and that is with the recommended 6,000 km change interval.

Edited for correct info on change interval, bad me.

·
Registered
2010 SUBARU FORESTER
3 Posts
is 1k-then-3k mile the rule of thumb for a new engine? What is the benefit in this? my car got a bit over 1k miles. i may have to change the oil.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
is 1k-then-3k mile the rule of thumb for a new engine? What is the benefit in this? my car got a bit over 1k miles. i may have to change the oil.
Just old school thinking. I did my first around the 2,500-3,000 km mark, then started to spread them out until I got to the Subaru recommended interval.

There is no warranty requirement for early oil changes, so no issues there. I just think its cheap insurance to "flush out" so to speak anything that may be left over from the manufacturing process. Note that there are some very strong advocates of not doing this as they feel the additives that are included at the factory will help with break-in and therefore should be left in until the first scheduled change.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Premiu
83 Posts
Has anyone ever seen metal bits when they've changed oil at 1k? Or is it all a theoretical benefit?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts