Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Ford
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1st gen Forester, 1st/2nd gen Legacy GT, 1st/2nd gen Outback

I'm having a rough time choosing what Subaru to buy. I'm looking at 5-speed 1st generation Foresters, 1st/2nd generation Legacy GT wagons, and 1st/2nd generation Outbacks. I plan on finding and test driving one of each sometime this week, but in the meantime I was hoping to get some experiences and/or opinions of them.

I've settled on Subaru wagons because I need something with plenty of room (I haul my German Shepherd around in a crate so I need space for it), AWD for the winter, and good gas mileage, along with being reliable and affordable. I'm aware of the head gasket issue on the pre-2003 2.5 engines and I'm not worried about it. If it needs to be done I can do it.

Here's what I've learned about them so far:

-Legacy GT's and Outbacks are longer than Foresters but Foresters are wider and taller, which might be beneficial for fitting my dog's crate in the back.

-Legacy GT's handle the best and are the sportiest, Outbacks have the most creature comforts and are best on rough roads but handle the worst on the street, and the Forester is the best do-everything vehicle of the three.

-As far as legroom goes (for both driver and passengers), it sounds like the Forester is the best of the three.

***If any of this info is incorrect, feel free to correct me.

A few questions I have:

Besides the head gasket issue in the 2.5, is there anything in particular I should be concerned with when looking at these vehicles?

What type of gas mileage do you guys generally see from your Foresters (as well as Legacies and Outbacks for those of you who have them)?

Do you find the seats comfortable?

How do you like the leg room (I'm 6'2") and overall room of the seating area?

What is your overall opinion of the interiors of each of these vehicles?

I realize some of my questions will be answered on test drives, but like I said, I'd just like to know what you guys think of your Foresters/Legacies/Outbacks.

Thanks in advance! :Banane35:

·
Registered
98 Forester L
121 Posts
Personally i would go with whichever car looks cooler too you. Obviously all 3 of them offer the features your looking for, FYI i fit my 2 siberian huskies, and my german shepherd (3 doggies) in the back of my '98 forster no prob.

As for leg room, im pretty sure the outback has more of it in the front seats. Someone correct me if im wrong. Im 6' and leg room isnt that much of a prob (dont really like the geometry of the seating though). Havent drivin much outbacks so i couldnt give you advice there, all ive heard is that they have more leg room.

Personally i like the look of the Fozzy so im gonna give you a hella biased opinion and say to go with the Fozzy. Mine has over 200K and i consistently get 23-26mpg. Its the type of car that doesnt do well once you hit 70mph......meaning gas milage diminishes greatly over 70mph because of it brick-like aerodynamics.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2000 Ford
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as looks go, I'm torn between the Forester and 3rd gen Legacy GT wagon. I love the boxy and unconventional look of the Forester, but I also really like the clean, sleek look of the 3rd gen LGT. Leg room and seat comfort is a big deal to me though, so that MIGHT be the deciding factor depending on how much difference there is between the three. I found a local dealer with all three so I'm hoping to test drive them within the next couple days.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
There isn't much leg room difference really. The legacy will have a wider hatch area while the seating position is more upright in the forester. The forester also has better visibility as well (IMHO)

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,909 Posts
... I've settled on Subaru wagons... A few questions I have:
What type of gas mileage...
Do you find the seats comfortable...
How do you like the leg room (I'm 6'2") and overall room of the seating area?
What is your overall opinion of the interiors of each of these vehicles?...
I am 6'-2" and 200 lbs with 2008 NA automatic LL Bean with 16,500 miles.
* Daily gas mileage in mixed local gentle driving averages 23 mpg in winter and 26 mpg in summer. Just made a 1600-mile trip and got 31.5 mpg on one tank held to 60 mph, 31 mpg on another tank held to 65 mph, and 26 mpg on two tanks going 75+ mph.
* My leather seat is comfortable with plenty of legroom. I cut a sheepskin in half to cover my bottom cushion to protect the stitching against stress of entering and leaving. My wife thinks her bare seat is hard.
* The rear seat legroom is good only for small children.
* The tan leather interior and the classic straight dash are reasons I bought my 2008 while they were still available.
* I also like the size and the lines of the 2006-2008 Foresters. I parked next to a 2009, had to look twice to be sure it was a Subaru, and it dwarfed my car.
* Good thing you are looking for a 5MT because the 4EAT is a bummer.

·
Registered
98 Forester L
121 Posts
* Daily gas mileage in mixed local gentle driving averages 23 mpg in winter and 26 mpg in summer. Just made a 1600-mile trip and got 31.5 mpg on one tank held to 60 mph, 31 mpg on another tank held to 65 mph, and 26 mpg on two tanks going 75+ mph.
I'm going to second that. I got 29.8mpg following a friend with a trailer (going about 60mph) for a 800 mile road trip. Keep in mind i have over 200K. The 2.5 is a good motor, no mater what year your get.

·
Registered
2000 Ford
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses. :)

So far I've only been able to find a 2000 Legacy GT Limited sedan to test drive locally. I thought it was really comfortable, plenty of leg room, rode and drove really nice. I found it to be a bit on the slow side, but it was an automatic and may have been one of the most unresponsive auto transmissions I've ever driven. I did like the car a lot though. Now I just need to find a Forester (can't seem to find anything at local dealers).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts