Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 FORESTER L 5 Speed
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I had a 2004 Forester XS that I sold last year. This was a tough winter and I am getting the Forester itch. I loved that car in Snow. Anyway it seems that even 2003 and 2004 models continue to have the HEADGASKET issue. I am looking at a 1999 Forester L very clean with 123000 miles and timing belt done and a 1998 model. The 1998 has had the HEADGASKETS and TIMING BELT done. The 1998 has 144000 miles . Both are asking $3900. Is either a better year. Need advice.. Are TURBO models also affected by HEADGASKET issue? Thanks\\

Love SUBARU AWD but HEADGASKET ISSUE CAN BE A HEADACHE

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
79 Posts
The 98 will have the DOHC engine which is highly likely to have head gasket issues at some point. In 99 they switched to the SOHC engine which is less likely to have HG issues.
Between the 98 and 99 - the 99 is the better choice.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had a '99 Forester L with manual transmission for 9 years before it was totaled. During that time I had three different sets of tires on it, and with any of those tires that car was an absolute beast in the snow. Nothing could stop it. In fact, it handled the snow better than my '09 Forester (Auto transmission), but I blame a lot of that on the '09 Tires.

I'm a big fan of the '99 Forester b/c I beat the crap out of that car and it kept on going. But at the same time, the fact that the '98 already had the HG taken care of is a big plus b/c that's an expensive replacement if the '99 needs it in the near future

·
Registered
2001 FORESTER L 5 Speed
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks
The 99 is an L model with leather heated seats etc... Thanks
Should 123000 miles scare me?

·
Registered
2001 FORESTER L 5 Speed
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2001 FORESTER L

OK I found a 2001 Forester L 5 SPEED with 124000 miles. The car is from Original owner who is on his 3rd Subaru. The car has a few issues and I will list them as well as a few questions.

1. Overhead clock does not work. Is it bulb?
2. Odometer light is out. Only half. I am assuming thts a bulb and if so how much is involved in removing cluster and what bulb?
3. He had timing belt water pump done and he said he had clutch and transmission replaced. When I start car it sound funny. I am pretty good with cars and cant tell if its starter or flywheel??? It starts fine just sounds funny. Once car is on its fine.
4. He had valve cover gaskets done due to oil leak.

Oil was changed regularly. I just want to get 100000 miles out of it. I have seen Foresters well over 200000 miles so thats why I got it. AWD is very good. Any comments appreciated.. Its nice to be back.....

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
79 Posts
Clock issue is just a solder joint loose. Check the thread that is stickied at the top of the Interior and Electronics section. Its an easy fix.
Not 100% sure on the odometer light being partially out.
The noise at startup could be the starter. Only other thing I could think is the problem would be a worn out throwout bearing, but this is usually replaced when the clutch is done. This is the part that pushes against the clutch when you press the clutch pedal down. If the noise is consistent with pushing the pedal down and leaving it up, then this might be the issue.

·
Registered
2001 FORESTER L 5 Speed
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks the problem was the starter. The dash lights needed two bulbs. The clock I have no luck with. I put 5w30 Mobil 1 all fluids were good the brakes were good. I hear what could be ticking when I am at hwy speeds but I think its exhaust pipe that leads to manifold. Maybe gasket is no good..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts