Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removed the battery to get better access to replace spark plugs. After reconnecting the battery the alarm sounded (not surprising) and when I went to start the car it wouldn’t even turn over, no clicking nothing. I removed the alarm/anti-theft fuse under the dashboard to stop alarm, the car still wouldn’t start. Terminals and connections on battery are fine and it obviously isn’t dead so I’m at a loss for why it won’t start or even turn over. Also read somewhere to check if the lights on the vehicle dim when I try & start it to see if electric current is going to the starter. The lights didn’t dim when I tried to start it indicating no current to the starter. Any ideas to fix this would be super helpful!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,935 Posts
@Brycehayes47 I'm not sure removing the security system fuse will work? I don't have the Owner's Manual for 1999, but I read this in the 2000 Owner's Manual:
The vehicle also will not start if power is disconnected from the alarm module.
Take a look at this thread, specifically this post in that thread.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
If you have a security system on any car, it will trip when you insert the battery by design.
If thinks the car is being molested. Think about it: if all a thief had to do was unplug and replug the battery, stealing a car would be way too easy. I bet the alarm is wired 'fail safe' so that when the alarm is being molested (like pulling a fuse), the car will default to being disabled. It needs to see a disarm condition.

Try this: Disconnect the battery, put the alarm fuse back in, reconnect the battery. When it starts whaling, press the disarm button or do whatever you normally need to do to disarm it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@2.5x_sleeper thank u so much that did the trick! I think the alarm module not getting power was what was stopping it. I couldn’t stand the whaling of the siren so I pulled the fuse to shut it up. After putting the alarm fuse back, I disconnected the negative terminal, put key into on position then reconnected terminal and it started up fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts