Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'99 Forester L 4EAT, '06 X 5MT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just swapped out the steering rack on my 99 Forester. The rebuilt rack did not come with all the proper o-rings and using the old ones was a bad idea, I can't get it to stop sucking air (stuttery steering, mainly to the left past center, and tiny bubbles in the reservoir with the engine running). I see they are listed from Subaru for around $4 each and I need 4, it looks like two 12mm for the return and two 14mm for the pressure side. The O-Ring Store has them for about $.06 each (minimum quantity 17) but still for about $2 I can have enough for me and 7 friends vs $16. So two questions, are they indeed a 2mm cross section and 12mm and 14mm outside diameter, and is 70 durometer, Buna-N Nitrile an appropriate replacement, or pay up? Ok, I guess it was three questions.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
I'll answer one question. Just pay up.
Sixteen bucks won't break the bank and, even if the others that come in mass quantity for slightly more are identical: why dick around with unknowns?

You'll lose those excess o-rings over time. So the next rack that needs rebuilding, you know you bought them but won't be able to find them and it will drive you insane looking for them.
That's what I'd do, anyway. Especially that last part, where I lose them, etc.

·
Registered
'99 Forester L 4EAT, '06 X 5MT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The actual sizes of the lines the o rings fit onto are 1/4" for the return and 5/16 for the pressure side. The pressure side had two different cross sections of o rings, one was .060" the other .070" which corresponds to 1.5 and 1.78mm respectively. Both sizes are available so I got 1.78mm cross section and 7.94mm ID for the pressure side and 1.78mm by 6.35mm for the return. O rings are defined by the cross section and inside diameter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts