Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester 2.0 SLX Manual
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The poor scoob has a sad record. I bought it in 2014, it was fine, but i have changed 4 yokohama tires, subaru clutch and flywheel, centre diff (on warranty), some drive shafts, pedders suspension all around, many oil changes and basically pamper it as it is a necessity to have it reliable.
But people keep crashing into it:
Light T-bone x2
Double rear end attack, combined with front end impact x2. See my other recent post: Rear ended twice, front ended, rolled into...

Now rats!
Yep, those little buggers ate some hoses. Water bypass and overflow to be precise, plus some random nibbling of less critical plastics and foams.
Unfortunately we only noticed when the check engine light came on with the temp needle hitting the ceiling, with a car full of kids on way to a birthday party.

Now fixed with new gates tubing, and 5 litres of antifreeze, but the check engine light remains alight....

What worries me more is the damage done by the hot antifreeze pressure wash that the engine compartment received! I squirted as much clean water as possible, but I know it is still all over, dissolving in the nooks and crannies.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had this about 1.5 months ago. did over 8.9k damage interior wirings to airbags and module.
insurance and dealer .. still in the shop.

speaking of which, im gona call them now.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
550 Posts
Hmmm, I used to sat that all the time when I was a kid but it was my homework, not wires and such.. Hope it get sorted for you.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
Do you have an odb2 reader to read the check engine light? Can be found for $20 or equivilent currency. Invaluable to have one around!

@bdamit This ^^^^^. Knowing the CEL code would help to solve your problem. If you don't have an OBD2 reader, go by any auto-parts store - they will read it for you. Places like Midas and quckie-oil-change will do it as well.

FWIW, most CEL codes on a Subaru do NOT self-correct. That is, if the CEL light is flashing and you fix the underlying problem, the CEL light will go on flashing. You have to re-set the code. An OBD2 reader can do this task. Or, you can disconnect the battery, wait 30 minutes, then reconnect it. In the latter case, your engine may have to re-learn how to idle. If you have the code read at an auto-parts store, most stores will not re-set the ECU.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Knock Sensor affected by coolant leak?

Hi all
Here's a funny one; driving the car, the CEL light came on accompanied by a rapidly rising temperature gauge. Rats had eaten through the coolant bypass hose just above the knock sensor, leading to total coolant loss. As far as my 'better half' tells me, the car was not driven much further, the temp gauge had not yet reached red...>:)

I have never before seen the CEL lit in the 5 years we've had the car.

I have replaced pipe and coolant, with no apparent problems, but the CEL remains lit, and marks a 'dash dash dot dot' flash when the green plugs are connected. I gather that this is the knock sensor code for my 1999 SF5 Forester EJ20.
There is a puddle of water on top of the engine block, I am wondering if the knock sensor circuit has been affected by this. I still need to check if the knock sensor is actually submerged!

Thanks for checking in, any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
314 Posts
you can test knock sensors pretty easily with a volt meter. Check out this thread and video, but i'd give that a shot and see if it passes obvious tests. Also, did you unhook the battery after fixing the issue? If you haven't, disconnect the battery, hold the brake pedal for about 10 seconds, and then wait a few minutes before plugging it back and see if that changes the CEL or not.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,871 Posts
@bdamit your threads have been merged. There's no need to create a new thread when you already have an active thread on the same subject. It's better to keep all the troubleshooting preformed in one thread so members can see the whole story. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thought I should come back to finish this thread...

The code was OBD-1 #22.
I should explain that our European Subarus did not have OBD-2 systems at the end of the 1990s, retaining the connectors under the dash to read the morse-type flashing code.

#22 indeed is the knock sensor, so I imagine that the puddle of coolant in the knock sensor area created a problem.
The CEL came and went until the knock sensor was replaced.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts