Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a Forester 99. I am having problems starting it when it's cold. It takes me many cranks to finally start it.
Once is started, I have no issues whatsoever and it starts right away too. But if I leave it for a while, then I have troubles once again.

What do you think might be the issue?
If the fuel pump was bad, shouldn't I have troubles also after it starts?
Could it be the pre-pump filter?
Spark plugs?
Any ideas?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
345 Posts
Next cold start. Try turning the key to On (but don’t start), wait 10-15 seconds. Turn key off, wait a few seconds, then turn key to On again (but don’t start), wait 10-15..... repeat sequence 3-4 times, then try starting the engine.

If it starts ok, maybe the fuel lines are loosing prime, or has an air lock somewhere.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
222 Posts
I would start off testing the battery just to rule that out. It may have just enough juice to start up a few times.

But to me it sounds like a fuel pump issue. Could be just clogged or the pump going on its way out.
There is a way to test the fuel pressure but I never bought that tool so....I don't know how to use it. I'm sure there is a youtube video somewhere.
My money is on the fuel pump or something in line there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next cold start. Try turning the key to On (but don’t start), wait 10-15 seconds. Turn key off, wait a few seconds, then turn key to On again (but don’t start), wait 10-15..... repeat sequence 3-4 times, then try starting the engine.

If it starts ok, maybe the fuel lines are loosing prime, or has an air lock somewhere.
HI, I tried that today, but still the same issue. In case I would need to replace the fuel pump, i was looking at this 2 options:
and

I see one is 255 LPH and the other 160 LPH. Which one should work better in my car?

Any other idea?

Thank you for helping me out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would start off testing the battery just to rule that out. It may have just enough juice to start up a few times.

But to me it sounds like a fuel pump issue. Could be just clogged or the pump going on its way out.
There is a way to test the fuel pressure but I never bought that tool so....I don't know how to use it. I'm sure there is a youtube video somewhere.
My money is on the fuel pump or something in line there.
What should I test in the battery? I mean, i know is voltage, but what parameters should I be lookng at?

I'm sorry, I know this might be an obvious answer, but I have no idea.
I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
222 Posts
What should I test in the battery? I mean, i know is voltage, but what parameters should I be lookng at?

I'm sorry, I know this might be an obvious answer, but I have no idea.
I appreciate your help.
Just look for any voltage drop, you need at lest 13 volts to crank up a car. I seen 12.5 volts was just enough to start a car, but then once running the car charges up the batter to 14 volts.
So in other words a weak/dying battery might take a few tries to start up.

As for the fuel pump, LPH means Liters per hour. 255 lph is what I have on my sports which makes just under 300 hp. The 255 lph would work, just kinda overkill on a forester. The 160 lph would be ideal.
But..one thing I would not cheap out on is the fuel pump. If you can try to get a Denso brand one. But if not just plan on changing the fuel pump again in a year or two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts