Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

661 - 680 of 702 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester S auto
12 Posts
Another satified customer! Thanks Senor Sube. Took exactly 10 minutes and worked a treat. The 300 resistor was standing up on one end (far end from button push points). Got to think that pushing those hour and minute buttons stresses the crappy solder joints.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Follow up for long term fix

I have encountered this issue on other products of the late 80s to late 90s.
Please consider the following very inexpensive parts:
(All can be found at the "Shack")
1. Flux pen
2. Bearing solder with lead. (Eco folks calm down, will not hurt you if you do not lick it.)
3. Pencil Point solder iron 30 watt is good.

The leaded solder mixing with the regular solder helps strength the joint. The flux increases the bonding of the solder to the board and chip. In simple terms.

Steps:
A. Touch flux pen to the sides of each of the three resistors.
B. Make sure the solder iron is heated sometimes can take 10 min.
C. Clean the tip of solder iron with a damp sponge to remove residue.
D. Coat the tip of the iron with leaded solder
I personally prefer a extremely light dab extra on the tip
E. Touch the one side of each Resistor with the tip of the iron.
About 2-3 seconds with a 30 watt iron.
I prefer to brace the board and use one hand to brace the other
to prevent shaking the iron.
I let the resistor cool and harden before I do the other side to
prevent the resistor from sliding
F. Touch the other side if each resistor let cool

Touch Flux to each of the major solder points on the back side of the board and heat as you did the resistors. This will help you have a long term fix.

The leaded solder is important in the 80s to today leaded solder was replaced in mass produced goods due to new European Standards. The solder in many products cracked without lead over time. This is why the suby clocks fail just like many xboxes and laptop video chips. The higher the lead content of your solder the better since you are blending solder.

Too much solder is bad. just make sure it is shiny and thin. Excess solder holds heat - a bad thing.

Lastly the flux is a mild acid the helps the solder form a better connection to the board and resistor. The better the connection the longer the fix lasts and the less heat is produced, a good thing.

Using flux and leaded solder will help your suby clock last longer than the car will. Good Luck.
Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bloody marvellous!

Put up with a non working clock for 5 years on my 2002 Forester and this tip solved it in no time at all. It is surprising that it is the same 510 resistor that seems to cause the problem, though in my case, it was the far end of the resistor so it was a little bit more awkward to get at.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L Automatic
4 Posts
It worked!

I've had this clock non-functioning since I bought it a year and a half ago! The previous owner said it was out for over 2 years. I happened across this thread when I was looking for help with replacing the factory radio, which I'm going to be doing next week. Thanks to Senorsubie for this and many other helpful threads.

The 510 resistor had a cracked solder joint in the same place as the 1st poster's. Touched it and the others up (just because it was there!) and now have a functioning clock again. Word of warning: when you take it apart to get to the board, make sure you keep track of the small buttons and rubber contacts on the trim piece. I didn't and they ended up under the seats! Lots of colorful words and 10 minutes later I found them. Whew!

Great info on this Forum! Does anybody know if SenorSubie still frequents this Forum? I have some questions for him :)

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5MT
25 Posts
Hi All,

Is the clock removal process the same as the pictures for the Forester S, which has the moon roof button next to the clock? If I use a flat head screwdriver to remove the clock, what should I be careful of for the moon roof switch?

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5MT
25 Posts
Hi All

So I removed my clock module and the soldering connections on #510 and #300 were okay, but what I noticed was a black 1" in diameter in the lower left corner of the LCD, so it seems that the LCD on my clock went bad. I just ordered a refurbished model from eBay for $30 that is working and will just install that instead.

So just to show, there could be other reasons for the clock not working, not just the soldering.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
1998 Forester
35 Posts
I had a black spot on the display as well and it still worked when I did the re soldering so that black spot may not necessarily mean anything.

I used one of those wireless soldering irons and once I figured out what I was doing, as I've never really soldered before, it really wasn't that hard of a fix.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,097 Posts
Mine had a black spot too, also the solder crack wasn't obvious. I didn't see one anyway. I hit the resistors with solder anyway then it started working.

·
Registered
2002 forester turbo S Auto
1 Posts
Hi, A great community here.

Recently purchased a Bangernomics Forester S-turbo (UK model) the clock was dead, joined the forum, found the answer, repaired the problem.

Resoldered the three Resistors and then the zener fell off. Resoldered the zener, still didn't work, resoldered the zener the correct way round.. Bingo, working Clock

Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Forester Turbo S
1 Posts
Thanks SenorSubie!

My 2001 Forester developed this problem a few weeks ago and I've just fixed it thanks to you! (In my case #510 had fallen off completely)

·
Registered
2001 Forester manual
2 Posts
Thank you for this....

saw this write up, bought a solder gun and solder, pulled clock, R30Q resistor was completely loose, soldered it back on and repaired the "500" connection....

FUNCTIONING CLOCK!!!!

thanks again.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S
1 Posts
Local ham radio guy resoldered my 2000 Forester clock guts based on your advice. Unfortunately he lost one of the rubber push button extender thingies. Do you have a source? Just need one. Thanks. [email protected].

·
Registered
1998 Forester L Automatic
55 Posts
Checking in here - I do electronics as a hobby so this was quite easy. Took it out, found the R300 floating around completely disconnected! So I resoldered all of the connections and it works like a dream. I also lost one of the rubber push thingies so I'm looking for those as well! Thanks again.

·
Registered
1999 Forester L 5MT
71 Posts
Checking in here - I do electronics as a hobby so this was quite easy. Took it out, found the R300 floating around completely disconnected! So I resoldered all of the connections and it works like a dream. I also lost one of the rubber push thingies so I'm looking for those as well! Thanks again.
My 300 resistor was completely broken off too and my 510 had a nice crack in it. However, after some re-soldering, it works awesome!

·
Registered
2001 Forester CS
2 Posts
Thank you for welcoming me to your forum! Here from the UK, bought my first Forester yesterday and fixed my first Forster clock today, thanks to this thread!

Kudos to the OP and a big hello from here in England! :)

661 - 680 of 702 Posts