Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 L 5MT
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tl;dr my engine mounts are about half an inch off, with the mounting bolt part just resting on the crossmember where they go in. I need to get this giant headache into a shop. Right now the front wheels & CV Axle nuts are off (to relieve pressure on the CV axle). Is it safe to put the axle nut / wheels back on and tow it to a shop? Maybe worth noting this is a 5MT. Because the transmission is misaligned I don't even know what gear it's in, it was in neutral before I jacked the engine & misaligned these holes. I am in a never ending hell of my own making

Please, any advice is greatly appreciated as I don't know much about how these components interact with each other. I know that Subaru's AWD might make this even more complicated and I'm super paranoid about a careless tow truck driver accidentally breaking my CV axles/diff..

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
805 Posts
You may wind up paying extra for the service, but ask if they have dollies to put the vehicle wheels on due to your situation. I'd be concerned even with the minimal movement to drag it up a flatbed that something might shift causing damage. But if it is put on dollies first, the wheels wouldn't have to turn as they pull it onto the truck.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
209 Posts
The CV axle nut is there to hold the wheel-bearing together, so do not put the weight of the car on the wheel before that axle nut is re-torqued. A half inch off should not bother the cv-shaft so you can reset the axle-nuts to 140 ft-lbs.

Moving the engine in place on a jack is hard to get right, but if you lift from above it is much easier to move around. Not talking about a lot of weight, 200 pounds of lift, at the most should help you move it back in place.

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,683 Posts
Have it towed on a flatbed... Where I am, I'd guesstimate that about 2/3rds of all tow trucks are now flat bed style.... As a NEWER Subaru AWD vehicle should never be towed with any wheels on the ground (if the driveline is intact and in place), this would be the safest way to get the Subaru to a shop to correct the issues.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
209 Posts
@FozzieBalou
Both his 1999 and my 2017 can be towed flat, an advantage of having a manual transmission.

To me, bolting the engine back in at home would be my first choice.

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,683 Posts
Yes and no. While putting the manual in neutral will allow for towing with minimal impact to the transmission and engine, there is still the front and rear differential to consider - those are still engaged even if the manual trans is in neutral.

·
Registered
99 L 5MT
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys thanks for all the suggestions.. To make this more complicated it was in the basement of my apartment parking garage where a flat bed couldn't really get in. I ended up paying a mobile mechanic $600 to come over and help me out - I had lifted the engine so high / it had slipped to the right side enough that a subframe part was caught on part of the steering, preventing the engine from shifting over to the left (and into the mounts) as it naturally would have.

Expensive lesson to learn but I'm grateful for this experience and the guy was really cool he taught me a lot. Next time I would pay somebody who has the proper tools space and knowledge to get this done. Search up Jose Luis if you're in LA area looking for a mobile mechanic!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts