Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester s
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trouble shooting an ongoing issue - at 133k.

Started having sluggish issues and reaction with the compression in acceleration. The front and side engine is sealed so I don’t think it’s the head gasket, although I did notice what looks like the rear main seal is leaking. Could that cause any issues other than the small leak on the power train? Never an over heating issue, but smells funny sometimes, rear main seal drip and heat on exhaust possibly happening, so I’m leaning towards a bad catalytic converter/exhaust output and intake of air/fuel distribution for the main issue of poor performance recently. Although I recently did a good tune up including spark plugs, wires, and coil pack, new air filter, oil/filter, pvc valve, fuel filter, coolant flush, cleaned maf, and throttle body. Anything else that could be part of the issue that I’m not understanding here?

Also looking to make some upgrades on my 99 forester s. Starting with an exhaust upgrade and don’t know which one to get that would perform best. Any suggestion from what has worked best for you would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,702 Posts
@Codycochran918 is the CEL lit? If yes, what codes do you have? If no, does the CEL bulb light up on the prestart test?

As to the exhaust upgrade. Is this just to replace defective or failing parts? Really no major performance to be gained by opening up the system. If you're just looking for a louder exhaust sound, members have been happy with a Magnaflow axle back. We have one on all our vehicles. You can view my exhaust write up here in my Member Journal:

Magnaflow muffler & Wicked (brand) 3" stainless steel tip installed!

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
1999 Forester s
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@2.5x_sleeper Will check CEL to make sure but, I haven’t had any codes throw up on me at all, except once when I took out the maf.

As to the exhaust performance, yes looking for better sound to resonate out. I had picked up the car in Sacramento 3 years back and it had several smog issues there on the emissions. I know coastal weather is different than here in Oklahoma and could be possibly clogged up again. I get to take a chance to look at it this weekend. & definitely going to consider the magnaflow and tip suggestion! Appreciate the feed back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts