Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,
just changed my transmission oil, was bit of a struggle on my stupidity. :crazy: I "tried" to find the auto trans filler tube and thought the transfer case filler tube was it. Anyway, I drained the automatic pan...i figured I at least did that right. Changed the spin on filter and drained about 2 1/2 quarts because I had it on ramps. So I filled up the transfer case with auto fluid and started the vehicle, put in all the gears, but nothing. Soooo, I checked and saw how stupid I was :frown2:; filled up the right filler tube with about 3 quarts, but now it has a buzzing sound every time I turn ignition on without starting it and press the accelerator. Crawled underneath and could hear it coming from the transmission pan area. Now I'm hoping I didn't ruin my transmission. :icon_cry: I will drain the transfer case, which I planned to do anyway, and fill with the correct oil. Pays to pay attention to details...

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,847 Posts
@jahwarrior007 take a look at this thread. Not exactly the same issue as yours, but pretty close: :wink:

Drained ATF by mistake, put 3 tbl spoons motor oil in the filter!

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
1999 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, well I guess that makes me feel a little better. I would still like to know about the buzzing I hear in the pan area...

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X RWD JDM 6mt
453 Posts
Probably some of the internal solenoids and pump making noise because they are running dry.
Any time the engine is running it is spinning the trans, so don't run the engine or press the accelerator until its all drained and refilled correctly or you will ruin the transmission. With low fluid it will burn up the trans quickly.

Report back once you've got a full drain and fill of the diff and trans and they are back at correct operating levels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts