Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here goes I just replaced a 2.5 sohc auto engine with a ??? 2.5 sohc from a man I was told it was a 99 (could be 2000 2001) and every pined together ok with the exception a 4pin connector Item from the pass. side fender well area which I move over the problem now is engine starts fine goes to 1200 rpm and then sputters to stop f/pumps runs and I can start it again with out turning to the off pos. I do not have a clue and if its the wrong year whats to do thanks ahead Bil in need of help

·
Registered
1999 forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
pin connector

there was an Item on the car orginally with a four pin connector it was mounted on a bracket on the wheel well that metal bracket had some vac hoses and other wiring including the mass air flow connector in the harness a second bracket came with the new engine so I use it rather then take all the connections off the old engine and re hook every thing, but It did not have the Item for the four pin connector so I took it off the old bracket put it on the new bracket and have it plug in as it was before but,don't Know why the differance and only mentioned it to help make everyone aware of the differance. in short every thing is connected and "looks" right but...

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
Are you certain it was from a 99? No matter what it was from, you should use your original intake manifold with all the proper sensors.

What comes to mind is the 99, ( 98 also ) were MAF sensor engines. 00-04 were MAP. So that 4 wire connector MAY be for the MAF which might not be there now. And that would also match the symptoms you describe.

Remember we can't see, touch or hear it. Can you maybe post a picture of the connector so we may have an idea of what it may be for?

·
Registered
01 Forester S
102 Posts
As has been mentioned, use your '99 intake and wiring from your old engine. Sounds like you're trying to run a Speed Density engine with MAF wiring.

·
Registered
1999 forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi the intake DID NOT work changed the crank sensor,took the fuel filter out of line flushed the line and run it direct still the same thing (yes I did swap lines Just to make sure I did not lable them wrong on original take out) swapped the throttle pos sensor still the same new info...if I hit the Key before it dies it will run on through the same cycle as if I just started it the fuel pump Runs until a sec. after it dies. thanks for any Ideas Bill

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
7 Posts
I had the same problem after I replaced my HG on a '98 DOHC. It would stutter and die... Turned out I missed a connector BURRIED under the manifold. (coolant temp sensor). Plugged it in and it started right up and idled perfect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts