Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance has a 1999 Forester that has recently develloped a couple of issues. Just today when leaving work she couldn't get the driver's side door to close and when she finally did and got it locked she then wasn't able to at first unlock the door and then open it. After a few tries it now unlocks but we still can't get the door to open with either the inside or outside door handle. Any ideas as to the possible issue?
Also recently it seems as if the AWD system isn't working properly in first gear and there is a random occasionally thumping noise from the back of the car. The thumping noise doesn't seem to be related specifically to acceleration or braking. The car is a 2.5S with the 5-speed manual. Ofcourse the hope with the thumping is something loose underneath but given that there is 20" of snow on the ground at an apartment with an unplowed parking area getting under the car to check isn't currently an option.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports 4EAT
541 Posts
My 2000 has a thump from the rear driver's side on snow days too......

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Heres trying...I'd suggest if you are capable, remove the inside door panel and check for corrosion around the contacts of the door switch motor sounds like a poor ground, cleaning the terminals might do the trick, believe me a lot of moisture can get in there and corrode things over time.

As far as the rear wheel thump, I'm going to go with a rear wheel bearing.

On the early model foresters this was an issue, Subaru has a special tool for reinstalling new bearings, many have done them themselves or at garages so the choice is yours. I had a 99 as well and had the wheel bearings replaced, no problems after that.

You could also isolate the noise to rule out the tires, swap the rears to the front and see if there is any change in the location of the noise. It could be a separated belt or bulge in the tire, inspect them while you're changing them. It is always recommended if you have to replace a tire, to replace all four or find a replacement tire the same circumference as the rest, otherwise you'll have transmission/differential issues.

Good luck and please do report back what you find, I'm sure others will be posting suggestions over the next few days.

Your AWD will always be working 50/50 split with a manual car, if you do not know when the transmission and differential fluids had been changed, I'd suggest getting them serviced, some people never have them changed

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports 4EAT
541 Posts
I should have mentioned my thump comes and goes. It thumped last night but went away in less than 10 minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts