Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2015 forester 2.5 limited
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, soooooo....daughter bought a 99 legacy sedan a week ago, private owner. 150,000 Mile's, I don't even know the trim level, motor size, tranny etc. Yet. It just overheated shop says its head gaskets. The P.O. just supposedly put a bunch of work into it...supposedly head gaskets, cam belts etc. I'm waiting to see receipts. Shop wants 2500 bucks to fix. She paid 2000., the previous owner is giving her the money back and shes keeping the car. She is over it, gonna junk it or sell cheap. I'm thinking of getting it and fixing it, first time working on a subaru but am fairly mechanical. I can get heads checked and shaved for 100 bucks. Is there anything else that should be checked when overheating occurs? Besides water pump, thermostat, etc....I'm Used to working on old motorcycles lol, please bear with me and my stupid questions. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,791 Posts
Engine needs pulled for heads. Timing belt must include tensioner, idlers, and water pump.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Anyon have a good video/write up on gaskets/other needed?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Search these forums . . . or wait for more detailed reply. It's common Subaru maintenance.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,776 Posts
You may also want to check the other Subaru forums (Outback, etc.) as the information there would be more vehicle specific...

Given the relatively high mileage (yes, I know 150K is not really high for many Subaru models), there will need to be a fair amount of maintenance and possible work to be done.

"MOST" Legacy sedans were automatic (the 4EAT) and 2.2 or 2.5 motors. Trim was L and GT and GT Limited. There also was the short lived Legacy SUS (Sport Utility Sedan) and SUS Limitedthat became the Legacy Outback sedan.... There were some special 30th Anniversary model packages on all of the above.

This was the 2nd generation Legacy and the sedan was code BD. At least from what I can see.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, what a stupid repair at low ish miles.

I'm at work so not much googling time Yet, trying to be lazy and get some links to save time lol.

Q

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,776 Posts
I was in a similar position with a 1987 Subaru DL Wagon (worldwide known as Leone) ... bought from an auction for 700 bucks and had the head gasket pop (but much later - bought with about 250K miles and the gasket went at 320K)... at that point, the job was 1200 from a friend of a friend that worked at a shop specializing in Subaru.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, free....shes a good schmoozer apparently lol. I'm Going by today to look at, so we will see.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ej25. 2.5. I was told there was a pool of water at the drivers side front ish area. Oil was a bit low, no water in oil though, at least noticable. Filled with water, ran it to running temp, gauge was stable at just under middle of temp Mark's. I think I will go for it, free car. ..how bad can it be lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also....it is a 99 SUS. Still dontexactly know what that means lol but working on getting it here. Gonna clear a work space inthe garage.

·
Registered
246 Posts
re: SUS -- see Post #5. You have a between-models transition vehicle, it seems. They're always a pain.

Free is good, however.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,491 Posts
If there aren’t other problems and the car is in good shape generally, it will be worth the cost. Especially these days where used cars are hard to find. At least you know the history.

$2500 is not a lot for all of these repairs.
just be sure you get the Subaru oem MLS gaskets. Very important.

See:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Scrap here is low, 100 bucks if they come get it, maybe more if I Tow it in. They have to drive to their scrapper so lose money. Originally was gonna fix it for her, shes over it lol, probably be my new work commuter. Is it a transitional model? I thought it was end of the line with a anniversary Badge....gotta read up here shortly, wrapping up my nissan body lift, then its homework time!
Price isn't that terrible considering the work involved, but I'm cheap and like a challenge and learning new stuff.
Thank you all for your replies and video links, much appreciated!

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,367 Posts
I guess I was under the impression that rising steel prices meant scrap prices rise and that with a hot used car market, and people keeping vehicles longer that, even a 22 year old Subie in good shape would have some value just for its parts. I am happy you are fixing it up, and have the space and skills to do so rather than seeing it go to scrap. Hopefully its not too challenging. Mr Subaru is going to be your friend!

and here he is working on your model Legacy

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,574 Posts
Is it a transitional model?
Not really. The only thing that transitioned was the name. The SUS/Outback sedan was just a Legacy sedan with Outback suspension and Outback-style cladding. Typically with nice trim as well. There's no reason that it would be 'a pain' since all the parts are off the Outback, which was just a lifted and cladded Legacy wagon. 99 was the final year of the 2nd generation legacy platform.

I like the SUS/Outback sedans. They are somewhat rare.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice, more links! I've watched a few, should be a fun project.Gotta borrow my buddies cherrypicker and engine stand though.
I'm not to sure about the steel/scrap market...I'm In western wa., very small town and everything awesome is 4 hours away, we get hosed alot...but it is quiet And peaceful country living.

@sneefy thanks for the info! I like the look of them, if it works out well it may get a "baja" treatment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts