Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Forester L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home after taking my car out. I was almost home when my check engine light came on. I continued to drive home so I could get it parked and see what the issue was. Shortly after parking it, i saw a clear, odorless liquid coming out behind my rear driver side tire in between the mudflap. I figured it could’ve been water because i washed my car, but it has since stained my concrete and the other side did not drip. Anyone know what this could possible be?

·
Registered
2009 Forester M5 2.5 SOHC
37 Posts
How does the rear washer hose route in ‘99s? It could have split near the rear door. Washer fluid is relatively odourless in small amounts.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,080 Posts
Mud flap fluid?
That doesn't exist, however it could be the rear light fluid...
:p
If the car stopped dripping anything after a day or two, it was very likely the car wash enhanced by some evaporating metal as @Kevin postulated.
Unfortunately, since the OP only posted once 2 months ago, this one will likely remain in the "Unsolved Mysteries" category, baring further comments by @rednose_subaru

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Forester L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Subaru does not use separate reservoirs for front and rear blinker fluid, so it must be the blinker fluid tubing to the rear that's leaking.
Very well could be. I did put on a new pair of taillights, maybe i put the brake light and blinker fluid in the wrong place 🤦🏻‍♂️ Apologies for my stupidity, should’ve known better, blinker fluid in the top, brake light fluid in the middle, and reverse fluid in the bottom. Again, i apologize, i really should’ve known better. Next time i won’t come here to check what my problem is, i know chrisfix could help me with my blinker fluid issues next time

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Forester L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What color is the stain? Check the rear quarter panel inner pockets for water; could be rusting in there as well. Do you have a sunroof?
No, i don’t have a sunroof, but the problem was obviously. Just put the wrong fluids in my brake light housing, and it ended up leaking through my mudflaps because, well, where else is the fluid supposed to go. It came out amber, then red, then white again. So definitely just a broken brake light fluid connection

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Forester L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It could be mud flap fluid....No?
Just the fluids from my brake light housing. Everything is A’okay! I must’ve put the blinker fluid and brake light fluid in wrong, so it came out of the mud flap to tell me that it was used incorrectly

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Forester L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mud flap fluid?
That doesn't exist, however it could be the rear light fluid...
:p
If the car stopped dripping anything after a day or two, it was very likely the car wash enhanced by some evaporating metal as @Kevin postulated.
Unfortunately, since the OP only posted once 2 months ago, this one will likely remain in the "Unsolved Mysteries" category, baring further comments by @rednose_subaru
Again, it wasn’t my mudflap fluid, surprisingly, just me doing a bad job with my taillights and the blinker and brake fluid ended up coming out of the mudflaps because that’s how foresters are built, to drain blinker and brake fluid in case a nut job like me does a hard task such as a taillight fluid repair

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,306 Posts
This a stupid thread and deserves stupid answers if your mechanically minded...

How ever if your not mechanically minded its not stupid. Could it be one of the lights has filled up with water and is doing a slow release wee ( i had a new light that filled with water) or im also going with what Kev said.

·
Registered
2004 Forester xt
37 Posts
On a more serious note if your car isn't leaking a fluid that you can start on fire... don't fret

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,080 Posts
This a stupid thread and deserves stupid answers if your mechanically minded...
Actually, I'm thinking in it's later stages, "silly" would be a more appropriate term... although the original post of why is there a fluid staining my driveway from the mud flap was a legitimate question.

What the fluid actually was on the other hand... It was water with a bit of rust? Coming from replaced rear lights that weren't sealed and revealed by a car wash?
Could it be that a cogent explanation is required before this thread is moderated into a solved state?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts