Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was posted on the .com forum, but I thought I'd bring it up again.

I know some outbacks/foresters tend to have their AT shifter light go out, on my 99 it went out in 05. The fix was painful and took me about an hour for the whole deal.

Now if i can just find some pics....

View one with only top "cover" removed

Top view with side skirt remaining

Skirt/arm rest, this was not necessary to remove, however, it made removing the bulb much easier

This is as far as I got to removing the shift selector/plate, I was able to get at the bulb carefully by using two fingers

Harness with new bulb, note: When removing the bulb: The little bugger was in pretty tight for me, just give it a little (large) pull and it should come out. And another BIG point ** When putting in the new bulb, make sure to push the bulb in FIRMLY, otherwise you will have an issue of the bulb popping out after you think you were "finished" and had put all the trim back on :oops:

It works! :)

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I'm able to find the package I got the bulbs in one is yours. I bought two since thats the way they sell them. I looked for a bit tonight with no luck, but tommarow I can check out inside my car. Otherwise I'm not sure what type of bulb it took, I basicly took the old bulb into the autoparts store and told the guy what it was from and he took me to an area with a bunch of bulbs, and he picked out the one I needed.

D

·
0 Posts
Hey, it's been a while since i took off my shifter, but if i remmeber, there's a small clip under the button. Pull that down with needle nose pliers, the button comes out, then the shift knob comes off. Then you can take out the cover and have access to the bulb.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XP
12 Posts
Thanks for bringing this topic back up. Following up on Grasshopper's question about the bulb, can you provide the bulb number? I would also like to know if anybody done replacing it with LED.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the bulb today after organizing/throwing away some car cleaners I had laying around...

·
Registered
2001 Forester Automatic
1 Posts
Removing the shift knob

Hey, it's been a while since i took off my shifter, but if i remmeber, there's a small clip under the button. Pull that down with needle nose pliers, the button comes out, then the shift knob comes off. Then you can take out the cover and have access to the bulb.

In addition to removing the clip and pulling out the button, there are two screws, one on each side of the shifter. After you have unscrewed them as far as they will go, you will need a pair of tweezers or thin needle nose pliers to get the screws all the way out.

When you pull the shift knob off, make sure that you put your thumb on the part of the button that didn't come off, or else the spring that is behind it will launch the back half of the button across the garage! (Don't ask me how I know this part.)

Once you have the knob off, a flat screwdriver will make short work of unclipping the PRND321 plate.

The fixture that holds the bulb requires a quarter turn to line up the tabs with the slots, allowing it to be pulled out from the bottom.

When you reassemble it, make sure that the plastic sheet with the red tab (that gives you the red square next to the gear you are in) is in the slots at the front and back of the PRND321 plate, or else when you attempt to shift back into park after your next trip, the plastic will jam and crumple up like a ball of paper. (Again, don't ask how I know this!)

If this happens to you, fold a sheet of paper so that it is four layers thick, and just wide enough to fit between the ridges on the plastic sheet. Put your folded paper on a stack of full size paper, and put the plastic sheet on top of the folded paper, ridges down, so that the ridges are on each side of your folded paper. Put two more sheets of paper on top of that, and then warm it up with an iron set on "wool." Check on it frequently as you are ironing, because if you get it too hot, it will melt. Just before it melts, it will flatten out, and it will stay that way when it cools.

Thanks, everyone, this was VERY helpful!

·
Registered
2010 Forester automatic
1 Posts
2000 Forester and some updates

Thanks for the post. I had the same problem with a 2000 Forester and here's some pointers that I thought might help. I've also attached a few pictures.

1-I got the Sylvania #37 bulb (2 pack) at Autozone
2-Although I removed the clip from under the thumb button and the 2 screws from the shift lever, I still couldn't remove the shift lever. But I kept going and didn't find that it was necessary to remove them.
3-There's 2 covers over the console screws. Just pry the covers off and then remove the screws.
4-To remove the parking brake trim, just gently pry it off with a screwdriver, starting at the rear and pulling up.
5-To remove the trim around the shift lever, just pull it up starting at the rear. I could not get it completely off but raised it far enough to access the black trim at the base of the shifter.
6-Note the 4 phillips screws holding down the base of the black trim. Using a long phillips screwdriver, unscrew them. The side corners of the black trim have square holes that fit over projections. Spread the sides away from the projections and the black trim will release and you can now lift the black trim to access the bulb socket under the D position easily.
7-use a long nose plier and gently twist the socket clockwise about 45 degrees to release it from the trim and then pull down.
8-when re-installing the black trim, be sure to position the 4 square holes onto projections and then tighten the 4 screws.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
444 Posts
Thanks for bringing this topic back up. Following up on Grasshopper's question about the bulb, can you provide the bulb number? I would also like to know if anybody done replacing it with LED.
I've used LED with great results, but their viewing angle isn't the greatest. It lights up all the letters on the selector but the ones directly above the bulb are noticebly brighter.

I used these bulbs.

If they don't work at first, flip the bulb around because LEDs have polarity.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S Automatic
3 Posts
AT shifter light out on 2001 Forester S

Thanks so much for posting this..i'm not sure about everything but i'm going to try it.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
35 Posts
Just a thought based on my experiences on Sunday. I got a type 37 from work and noticed that it was larger in diameter and height than the original bulb, but the base was the same. Other than that it was really easy to replace, except for putting the clip back after removing the handle. This guide was a lot of help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
On 2000 forester, I replaced bulb, but still no light. I determined it's not getting any voltage. The fuse is good and the cluster lights work, but not the shifter, or heater a/c illumination,or radio. Has anyone had the same problem and found the bad wire/connection?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts