Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5X Premium 5MT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In search of a solution to my window fogging problem, I came across a number of posts mentioning a cabin filter. In search of said filter in my 98SF I busted out the plastic cover where the filter should have been, effectively neutralizing my climate control system as there is no filter and now an open slot where all the air escapes.

What I am looking for is a source for part number is G3210 FC010 (Air Filter Cover Kit) so I can cover the gap I created. Any help would be appreciated.

I got that part from a post on scoobymods.com, but I'm not yet allowed to link outside. Here is they page on that site: scoobymods.com/air-filtration-kit-installation-t156.html

Despite this distraction, my original problem is still giving me trouble. The windows in my suby fog up at the drop of a hat and the system just can't keep up. Every window in the car completely fogs over, and the defroster only takes care of 75% of the windshield and small patches on the front windows. If its cold out, the inside surface of the windows ice over and I literally have to scrape them to see out. Its extremely annoying and occasionally unsafe. If anyone has any suggestions to either of my current issues I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Can't help you there but there is a few things you can do to try avoid fogging the windows. 1: make sure there is no water in the car (floor mats usually gets alot of water in on the winter time. 2: use the A/C to get rid of the fogging windows.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,799 Posts
Curious... is your A/C working?

As to the "hole" from the busted out cover. Make a temporary patch with "duct" tape. This should restore your system until you can install the filter modification. :

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
I too had a fogging problem in the fall. My windows are tinted and I was always worried about damaging them with window cleaner, so I used newspaper and micro-fibre cloths. I imagine the windows were actually pretty dirty promoting fogging.

I saw a couple of post's here and found a lot of members had their own solutions but many were using Stoner's Invisible Glass Cleaner, it's safe on tint. It took about 3 cleanings with the cleaner and putting a portable heater in the car to warm up the interior while I cleaned. All I used was a couple of clean, dry microfiber cloths. Now I only get a small patch of fog on the drivers side rear window where the antennae is.

I'll mention this to check just in case the ventilation lever has been accidentally moved to recirculate instead of flow-through because that'll cause the windows to fog up pretty fast.

I'd do as 2.5x_sleeper said as a temporary solution to boost your airflow.

Keep us up to date on the solution you find.

·
Registered
2013 2.5X Premium 5MT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My AC works but only makes a small difference. I'll check how well it works once it warms up again.

My windows are also tinted, and I think that may be playing a larger role in this problem than I expected. I'll try cleaning them really well and see if that helps.

I'll be covering the gap I created with duct tape as suggested, though I still need to figure out where I can be an appropriate cover. The cabin filter itself isn't so difficult to find.

·
Registered
01 Forester S
102 Posts
Clean windows make all the difference. As does a well maintained air conditioning system.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
you could have water in floormats, but also from a body leak or plugged/missing/disconnected A/C evaporator drain hose.

you could have heater core leaking but if too bad you should smell coolant inside.

what kind of temperature drop do you get at the center vents with your A/C and fan on cold, full blast?

of course NOT having recirc on should help too.

·
Registered
2013 2.5X Premium 5MT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you could have water in floormats, but also from a body leak or plugged/missing/disconnected A/C evaporator drain hose.
Quite possible. Its an old vehicle and may well have several leaks, though nothing inside is noticibly wet and I have rubber floormats.

you could have heater core leaking but if too bad you should smell coolant inside.
I don't think the core is leaking as there is no smell and the collant level seems steady.

what kind of temperature drop do you get at the center vents with your A/C and fan on cold, full blast?
Its been too cold to notice a difference, but with the warmer weather coming it should be more noticeable.

of course NOT having recirc on should help too.
I've tested it both ways, without recirc on the air from the vents never reaches a sufficiently warm level, especially on the highway in the winter. When its on the fogging problem is slightly reduced but it can get quite cold. Perhaps I need a different thermostat or something to get the engine temp up. Or maybe there is a problem in the heater core aside from leaks.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
if you car never gets sufficiently warm your thermostat may be stuck open?!

does the car seem to get up to normal operating temp reasonably quickly given whatever the weather conditions are?

how's your gas mileage doing? if you monitor it and the t-stat then gets stuck open you should have noticeably lower mileage.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
another thought ... a way to test for stuck thermostat is to use cardboard to block the flow through the front of the radiator and drive at highway speed. if it gets noticeably warmer you likely have a stuck t-stat. had this happen on a trip in winter once and it was no fun. the beer "suitcase" carton that the convenience store had where I stopped did look funny through the grill, though. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2013 2.5X Premium 5MT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you car never gets sufficiently warm your thermostat may be stuck open?!

does the car seem to get up to normal operating temp reasonably quickly given whatever the weather conditions are?

how's your gas mileage doing? if you monitor it and the t-stat then gets stuck open you should have noticeably lower mileage.

I guess sufficient is a relative term. Let me put it this way: its warm enough for me, but my wife refuses to ride in it for 5 months out of the year. The temp gauge never really gets to the halfway point, no matter what the weather is like. It tends to hang around 3/8, but it gets there within the first 2 miles or so of driving, so thats not the problem. My mileage is mid to high 20's consistently.

EDIT: I'll test out the cardboard method on my way home and see how that works out.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
I guess sufficient is a relative term. Let me put it this way: its warm enough for me, but my wife refuses to ride in it for 5 months out of the year. The temp gauge never really gets to the halfway point, no matter what the weather is like. It tends to hang around 3/8, but it gets there within the first 2 miles or so of driving, so thats not the problem. My mileage is mid to high 20's consistently.

EDIT: I'll test out the cardboard method on my way home and see how that works out.
that sounds pretty normal, 1/3 to 1/2 up. if you try the cardboard, keep a close eye/ear on things. if it starts getting too hot the electric fans will also come on to try and cool things off so you don't want to keep driving with the cardboard at that point.

·
Registered
2013 2.5X Premium 5MT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that sounds pretty normal, 1/3 to 1/2 up. if you try the cardboard, keep a close eye/ear on things. if it starts getting too hot the electric fans will also come on to try and cool things off so you don't want to keep driving with the cardboard at that point.
Will do, and thanks for all the help/advice. Its very much appreciated!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts