Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
109 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this was the most relevant. Recently got an Ultra-gauge, and enjoying the real time[ish] MPG and having an actual coolant temp gauge.

When I went to calibrate MPG, the first step is to calibrate the MAP sensor readings. The first step of that is to make sure the UG is using the MAP [MPG Accuracy] , not an MAF.

Lo and behold, my Ultra-gauge thinks it's reading MAF readings from my 2001's ODBC port. Anyone with an UG or a Scangauge have a similar problem? Should I try to force it to read the MAP (not sure I can do this). From where does my Subaru's phantom MAF data come?

Actually, decided to open a new thread for this. Will ask the mods to delete

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 99 RS had and MAF and it was rare to see an MAP for that year. No matter though, you are better off with the OEM intake anyway. I made my own modified intake by removing the silencer in the fender and putting a smooth pipe between the air filter and second airbox. You really don't want to remove the second airbox (the one attached to the throttle body) that is a storage area for instant air when you tip in the throttle. Remove it and you will generally see a flat spot on take off. It was often referred to as a "torque box" back in the day. Here is a pic of what I did your second airbox is be a sealed unit I think though. Not positive though. In 99 it could be opened and some had second airfilters in there and some didn't they just had gaskets sealing the two halves.
What did you use for the gasket in the air box? Could I potentially just seal it up with silicone?

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,096 Posts
I suppose you could but there is a big gap. There was a specific part that replaced the filter a white framed gasket pictured below on the filter. 16553AA041 Gasket Air Cleaner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts