Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have drums on my 1998 Forester, I have plans to track the car and eventually WRX swap it. Firstly I understand the WRX swap isn't the most cost-efficient thing for power, I should just sell my forester for something more sporty. I'm doing the swap out of my love for the 97-02 foresters as I believe them to be the best-looking forester.
Anyways, today I and my buddy pulled off one side of the brakes as we will go back for the other next week. I was wondering if the rotor I attached images of can be resurfaced or needs to be replaced or if I need to take it to my local shop and have them decide that in person. This is only one of the rotors but the other looks identical. The brakes had what I see as good pads and brake shoes as they have lots of thickness left, but I was wondering if using pads off a junk car would be a bad idea for some obscure reason I can't think of.
Also, today, when we went to pull off the back plate (The part of the brakes everything goes onto that is attached to all the linkage), wouldn't come off the axle. Since we planned to come back next week anyways we sprayed it with copious amounts of WD-40 and are just hoping that it will come off next time. We also sprayed everything on the other brakes we are coming for including where the axle goes into the backplate to hopefully do the same thing. I was wondering if anyone had tips to get said axle out as all the videos we've seen slide out easily. Even if you don't have any advice thank you for your time (y)

Attachments

·
Registered
03 Forester XS and I my girl's 04 Outback H6
277 Posts
I’m no expert but those look gnarly dude!
I’m with @bman400 get some fresh ones. I'm a genuine penny pincher so I get it. If there is enough of them left you could resurface but I think new rotors and pads would be money better spent since they’re not super duper expensive. Resurfacing It’s atleast $20 per rotor at my local auto shop, I feel like new pads and rotors aren’t too far off cost wise from that depending on what you get.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMHO it's not worth resurfacing rotors and reusing old junk pads. Just get new rotors and pads. I just did the rear ones on my 2001 and waiting for new rotors and pads for the front.

It's still up to you if you're trying to pinch pennies.
Thank you for the input will for sure be getting new rotors and pads (y)

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4EAT
21 Posts
It sure seems like a shame, but I almost always replace the rotors. New rotors are relatively cheap compared to resurfacing.

And I pop my old rotors right into my metal recycling dumpster. Done!

Plus, new rotors are easy to paint the center hub. That keeps it a bit nicer through the years.

·
Registered
2022 Forester Sport
323 Posts
I was wondering if the rotor I attached images of can be resurfaced or needs to be replaced or if I need to take it to my local shop and have them decide that in person.
Subaru provides pretty robust rotors and resurfacing is usually an option. In your case, it all depends all many times the rotors have been cut in the past and if cutting them again will cause them to go below the minimum required thickness.

Just buy new brake pads.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hard to tell from the photo, but I can see the edge aka "burr" where the original thickness was. Those are pretty low in terms of material left. Replace them for cheap with some blanks.

Reactions: DatGuyFreaks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Machine the rotors to spec costs $$$ too. If you track it, I will go for slotted or drilled ones.
I personally advise against drilled due to the tendency they have to split on track. Some of the sports/super cars that come with them from the factory either run into similar cracking issues or they are manufactured where the holes are drifted while casting/forging. This avoids the tendency to crack like when taking a solid rotor, then drilling afterwards.

Reactions: DatGuyFreaks

·
Registered
2013 Forester Automatic
24 Posts
IMHO it's not worth resurfacing rotors and reusing old junk pads. Just get new rotors and pads. I just did the rear ones on my 2001 and waiting for new rotors and pads for the front.

It's still up to you if you're trying to pinch pennies.
New rotors usually have a non-directional ground surface which is much superior for bedding new brakes pads and performance. Turning gives a concentric grooved surface which I believe is inferior for bedding new pads and therefore performance IMO.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Premium 6-speed manual
188 Posts
I currently have drums on my 1998 Forester, I have plans to track the car and eventually WRX swap it. Firstly I understand the WRX swap isn't the most cost-efficient thing for power, I should just sell my forester for something more sporty. I'm doing the swap out of my love for the 97-02 foresters as I believe them to be the best-looking forester.
Anyways, today I and my buddy pulled off one side of the brakes as we will go back for the other next week. I was wondering if the rotor I attached images of can be resurfaced or needs to be replaced or if I need to take it to my local shop and have them decide that in person. This is only one of the rotors but the other looks identical. The brakes had what I see as good pads and brake shoes as they have lots of thickness left, but I was wondering if using pads off a junk car would be a bad idea for some obscure reason I can't think of.
Also, today, when we went to pull off the back plate (The part of the brakes everything goes onto that is attached to all the linkage), wouldn't come off the axle. Since we planned to come back next week anyways we sprayed it with copious amounts of WD-40 and are just hoping that it will come off next time. We also sprayed everything on the other brakes we are coming for including where the axle goes into the backplate to hopefully do the same thing. I was wondering if anyone had tips to get said axle out as all the videos we've seen slide out easily. Even if you don't have any advice thank you for your time (y)
If you have access to a brake lathe and know someone with the skill to use it correctly or can do so yourself than there is nothing wrong with turning discs as long as once they are machined they meet specifications. Some brake lathes have an attachment to create a non direction pattern, but if you are removing minimal material at a time, using Subaru stock or better quality brake pads, I would not worry about it.

If you had access to an accredited college automotive program, such as the one at Skyline College in San Mateo, California. I would sign up for a "consumer" auto class and do such work yourself under the watchful eye of a Automotive Professor.

In the meantime, new pads and rotors of varying quality can be found that make turning discs not worth the time or money for many people. I once owned a since new 2002 VW Golf GLS TDI 5-speed that I had dealer serviced the 11 years I owned it and the front brake rotors lasted 175k miles before they were at the wear limit and warped. All we did, after measuring them each time, was change pads.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dirt track with 10% slope, maybe?
Planning on racing at Thunderhill Raceway, I would love to race on a dirt track because there is one 20 minutes away but I'm worried about the potential to break something as there are many many holes in that track and it feels rough to go over. I did do it once but it felt very sketchy. I will definitely consider it though once I get some new springs/ shocks as the stock ones are very wobbly and I don't expect them to hold up on rally stuff.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you everyone on this thread for your advice. I will be going for new rotors and pads for sure. Does anyone have any advice on getting the back plate off for the brakes? I'm going back tomorrow morning and I very much expect both sides to be firmly stuck on the axles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts