Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the second time that I have replaced my battery in my 1998 Forester, the parking lights won't stop blinking, no matter what I do except pull off the battery cable.

The first time it somehow cleared itself up, when I noticed my steering wheel switch was "ON". However, this time they won't stop blinking no matter what I do, including removing fuses 5 & 6.

About 2 weeks ago someone had an answer that involved using the keychain lock/unlock buttons, but I didn't write it down.

I live in Montana, and we are getting into snow season. I would like to know I could jump in my Forester and go wherever I need to-- without having to re-attach the battery cable (just scraping the snow off sucks!!).

One of these days I will learn to grab it when I can and not expect the internet to keep the stuff I need handy.

Thanks-- Suzanneh from Montana:icon_sad:

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,107 Posts
I think it just involves locking and unlocking the car with the remote once, and that should clear it. Or there is also a reset button on the keyless entry module under the driver side dash that will work if you don't have the remote handy.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X Auto
955 Posts
Did you get the problem lights to stop blinking? Not trying to sound rude, but could you have accidentally turned the 4 way flashers(hazard) lights on or could the switch have shorted out due to old age or liquid being spilled on it? Where you've pulled fuses and nothing else works except unhooking the battery, I'm just trying to give you more places to look for the problem if Silke's suggestion doesn't fix it.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
1 Posts
Same Problem

My 98 Forester was doing the same thing and the keyless reset worked perfectly. Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
243 Posts
easy fix.
look by the hood release.there will be a black button mounted there.
if not it is just behind closer to the big black box behind the hood release.
these are the steps.
1-hold switch pressed in.
2-insert key in ignition and turn key to on.
3-flashers will blink 3-4 times.
4-release button and turn key off.
5-thats it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
easy fix.
look by the hood release.there will be a black button mounted there.
if not it is just behind closer to the big black box behind the hood release.
these are the steps.
1-hold switch pressed in.
2-insert key in ignition and turn key to on.
3-flashers will blink 3-4 times.
4-release button and turn key off.
5-thats it.
Hey thanks so much for the simple and clear steps...much appreciated!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,993 Posts
Welcome. We’re glad that your first post here was such a happy one, and that our forum contained the answer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts