Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy!
I'm the lucky candidate to install an inner tie rod end on a 1998 Forester.

Unfortunately it seems that the tie rod #101-4471 (IIRC, listed for '98-02 Foresters) doesn't match up to this particular vehicle. It's ~3" too long, and the inner threads to the rack are too fine, mine are smaller and coarser.

Being that this is a '98, i'm wondering if i got an early production vehicle? Also, this vehicle was in an accident and poorly repaired, it's possible that the rack came off a junkyard car (if there's anything that would bolt up).

Any thoughts? I'll take anything, anything you can throw at me! :banana:

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
Inner tie rod is the same 98-02. Same as Impreza 98-01. Same as Legacy 98-99. Two ideas...you either have a rack from a year not covered in the above, or L and R are different part numbers and possibly the length is different, so you may want to check that you got the correct side.

Edit: that p/n is not genuine Subaru, so can't cross it for you.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response!
I'll check the other side and see if it's side-specific.

My research has agreed with what you said--everything is the same from '98-onward, so that's where my confusion is coming from!

Maybe it's time to start digging through the books...

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1998 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a quick note:
Found an inner tie rod end that works, it's from a '97 Impreza. I don't know if this means that the rack is from an impreza (due to the accident), or if this is an early car that got a few leftovers from the parts bin, but....either way, it is what it is!

:catfight:

Thanks,
~CHris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy!
I'm the lucky candidate to install an inner tie rod end on a 1998 Forester.

Unfortunately it seems that the tie rod #101-4471 (IIRC, listed for '98-02 Foresters) doesn't match up to this particular vehicle. It's ~3" too long, and the inner threads to the rack are too fine, mine are smaller and coarser.

Being that this is a '98, i'm wondering if i got an early production vehicle? Also, this vehicle was in an accident and poorly repaired, it's possible that the rack came off a junkyard car (if there's anything that would bolt up).

Any thoughts? I'll take anything, anything you can throw at me! 🍌
I have an 04 Forester X. I just ran into the same problems with the threads on the inner tie rod. Have to find out what the issue is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts