Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so here’s what I got. I have a 1998 Subaru Forester s sport with an ej25d. The engine is all original and it’s just old and need to be replace or rebuilt. My goals for this car is an auto-manual swap and to fix the engine. I want to run a turbo and based on the engine in my car currently even if I did rebuilt it sounds like it’s a waste of money. So if someone could recommend an engine that would be compatible with running a turbo and that would fit in this car?

·
Administrator
17,885 Posts
G'day & Welcome @DeadToMe21
This is a huge job and a waste of money; get yourself a manual turbo SF or SG XT to start. ;)
Unless of course you have very deep pockets, can do the work yourself and can afford to have the vehicle disabled for a long project. For example all the wiring harnesses would need to be swapped and that would be a nightmare.
(PS the "D" is an NA is it not)

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,013 Posts
Forget it as Kevin suggests

·
Registered
03 Forester X
59 Posts
So uh, I am gonna break with the other guys here and give you some advice:

If you wanna do this, break it up into parts -- and ideally either get another vehicle as a daily, or arrange other transport during the weeks/months this will likely take you.

Regarding the transmission, to go from a 4-speed auto to a 6-speed manual (assuming you want that, and not the 5 speed) then the entire drivetrain minus the motor needs to come out. You will likely need a custom driveshaft made.

Yes, for the NA EJs, they're mostly open deck designs, which means LESS physical strength. You need an EJ22 Turbo or EJ25 -- and the engine harness, computer, and parts of the interior/dash harness.

This is not a simple swap, and mechanics will probably not want to help undertake the job.

That being said, if like me you're in an area where the markup on these cars is ridiculous or you simply cant' find one, or if yours has a good body (i.e. no rust) then it could be worth it.

You will wanna consider buying a wrecked WRX STi or something to be the donor.

For the finer details, you'll need to defer to others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts