Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 OUTBACKuntilFORESTER
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
i just relized this is better posted in this section so here it goes...again...I will be test driving a '98 Forester L that has 41,000 miles tomorrow. i have seen the car but not driven and it is literally brand new looking. It's amazing to see that old of a car in such good condition...not even parking lot digs on the door. Older lady bought the car new, regualrly serviced, and returned all at the same dealer so they have all documentation of services. Of course they have a $9999 price on it but that seem rediculous to me.

here are my questions for you fine Forester friends:

1) what do you think this 98 Forester should be priced at?

2) I keep reading about head gasket issues. the car will run thru the shop tomorrow morning and the dealer has said he will replace head gasket if any issues. should i be worried either way about this?

3) is there anything else I should be worried about buying an 12 year old car with only 41,000 miles?

It is kind of hard to only be going to a 98 from a 97 but if i could get it for around $4000-$5000 it would be perfect for my budget and the milage would give me peace of mind.

Thanks ahead of time for any of your thoughts and time!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,230 Posts
Here's what I put on your New Member Introduction post. :wink:

"As to the '98 Forester that you're looking at. Make sure the timing belt has been changed, since it goes by years or 105K miles! It's difficult to set a price on vehicles when they get older, so you'll have to check what the going price on autotrader & the newspaper. Take into account the low miles, overall condition & the documented service history, which is a big plus!"

I see the Forester isn't being sold by a Subaru deaership, so they may not know what the going price is, or they figure they can get more for that vehicle. I also see the going price for an '98 is around $5-8K, but I also see the almost all of them have 100K miles or more. :smile:

You might want to look at this thread. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...arding-head-gasket-problems-27944/#post324876

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,925 Posts
Hard to say what the price should be. But the Head gaskets are 100% required to be changed and ditto with the belt. Price is too high. If the head gaskets are changed have the dealer warrant it and do an oil analysis in about 6 months to make sure all is well.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
I copied this over from your New Member post:

Tuff call on the the Foz you're looking at. You never know how the car might begin to act once you implement your driving style. If I paid anywhere near that price (which I wouldn't), I'd be going over everything with a magnifying glass, getting underneath, driving, listening to engine, checking around manifold and headers after, engine bay, boots, coils, struts, interior, etc.

Unless the car is mint/classic, I have an aversion to paying the asking price, especially in today's market. Like I said, tuff call. But then again, it won't matter if you fall in love with it.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
A 98 will almost definitely develop head gasket issues at some point (probably around 100-150,000 miles). If maintenance was only done according to mileage, I'd probably skip the car. For the price they want, you could likely get an 03+ model. Also, less miles isn't necessarily better, if it just sat around it could end up having more odd issues than something that was driven regularly.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
i would also check the tires, for dry rot, as others have said have the head gaskets done, the t-belt, coolant flush, ALL THE OILS changed!!! diff's, trans, engine,etc.

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't pay $10k for a 12 yr old Foz unless it was built and pushing 300+ hp

Seriously my '03x Foz has just about that mileage and not one single mechanical issue (we bought it from an elderly woman also). It basically looks like a new car inside and out. Has $3k worth of A/V system too. It books in the 'real world' at less than $10k.

Point being, for that price (as pointed out above), you could be in a newer Foz than that

·
Registered
04 FXT
104 Posts
While the asking price certainly seems absurd, the dealer's strategy is not. He took in a mint, high demand car, and most certainly bought it right/cheap. He/she knows they are located in the epicenter of Subie lovin' left-coast (insert fun stereotypes here) market. There is no risk of putting it out there for an inflated asking price for a week or two hoping some sucker will be drawn in by the undeniable force of the "Oh my, it's so pretty" shopping response. If none surface, said dealer simply puts it out there for $5000 or so and merely doubles their money. Either way it's a win for the dealer. Free market capitalism FTW!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts