Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Suburu Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I changed the starter on my 1998 Forester with 245,000 KM. The bushing on the end was toast. I changed the starter (twice) to try to make a loud intermittened noise while starting go away. It almost sounds like the starter is partially kicking in and out. I can see the flywheel a bit through the starter mounting hole but can't figure out out to get the engine to turn over to inspect the rest of the fly wheel. The car is a standard. Can anyone help me with this noise.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,221 Posts
You should be able to turn the engine over by hand via the crank pulley bolt. I'd need a better description of the noise to try to guess what your problem may be.

·
Registered
2011 Forester automatic
92 Posts
98 Forester starter noise

You may want to check for low voltage at the stater while it's cranking. That would cause the starter solenoid to chatter and make alot of racket. A fully charged battery will read around 12.5V and shouldn't drop below 9.5V while cranking. If the voltage is high enough, disconnect the small wire at the starter ( push on female spade connector ) and using a jumper wire, jump from the + battery cable connected to the starter to the male spade connector on the starter solenoid. Make sure the car is in neutral since you will be bypassing the safety circuit. If cranking is normal and you don't hear any abnormal noise, you may have a voltage loss in the accuating circuit which could be caused buy a bad ignition switch, starter interlock relay, clutch switch or bad wiring. If you find this to be the problem, an easy fix is to install a heavy duty relay near the starter. Disconnect the wire that accuates the starter solenoid and use it to accuate the relay coil. Use the contact side of the relay to connect battery+ at the solenoid the Male spade terminal of the solenoid. Since it takes a very small amount of current to operate the relay vs the amount required to operate the starter solenoid, you won't go crazy trying to locate the voltage drop.

·
Registered
1998 Suburu Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I turned the flywheel over on the crank and found a pretty bad spot on the flywheel. I can imagine this is where the noise is coming from. The teeth were pretty chewed up.
I can imagine it's a big job to change the flywheel?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts