Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm catching up by reading old threads as fast as I can but needed help with a couple questions.

I'm looking at a 1998 Forester L. The engine was just redone - new HG and other gaskets, new timing belt, new water pump, new radiator, new thermostat. I saw it at the garage as it was being worked on.

114,000 miles

Leather seats and alloy rims. The body/paint/interior is very clean.

Currently he's asking $4950 (originally was higher)

Should I be reassured that the engine has been fixed from potential HG problem, or should I be concerned that this much work might indicate other underlying problems? The carfax is clean but otherwise I don't know much about its history.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
That is typical mileage for HG replacement on that year, so I'd consider that 'normal'. Now that it's got the new gaskets it should be good for at least another 100k. It should be a 'S' model. Check the price on kbb.com under 'private party' and see where it falls. Sounds about right for that mileage, and considering the current owner spent almost 2 grand or so fixing it for you that factors in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.