Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Original thread title, before thread merge ► ej2.5 >to> ej2.2 or ej2.0 - engine swap questions?
Merged thread starts on Post #8.
Hi, all just thought I'd make my first post.
My 1998 Forester was acting with failing head gaskets. Of course I read up an found out this was very common issue with their engines.
I had a 1990 legacy wagon just sitting around the trans took a dump on me after about 8 months of owning it. But the engine was a solid runner with 0 issues.
. I read an read an came to the conclusion it was a very possible swap.
So I slowly took the engine out of the 90 legacy. Until the hesdgaskets on the ej25 finally crapped out. An the engine would hardly run. So I yanked the ej22 out the legacy. An swapped the entire harness an sensors an throttle body over along with iacv an other stuff. Took the ej25 out of the Forester. An set the ej22 in its place. After getting everything plugged up an everything bolted up. I sat in the seat an turned the key over multiple times to prime the fuel system. An finally turned it over. To my surprise it fired right up. An ran like a dream.
So now I have an ej22 Forester 0 headgasket issues 0 problems with interference. The only difference I notice is the torque isn't quite as strong as the ej25. But I'm hoping the gas mileage will be better. All in all for a very first motor swap. I'd say it's a success.

·
Registered
1998 Forester Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm wondering since ive swapped out my 98 Foresters engine due to headgasket failure. I have the engine out of the car. Ej25d. I also have a supposedly good ej20 dohc(turns over good). Both engines are phase1. An I was wondering what I could expect if I redone the gaskets an replaced the heads on the ej25 with the dohc heads of the ej20. Would it run good ? Make more power ? Blow up ? From what I've read it will increase compression. Ive been told the ej20 was a turbo engine. The ej25d is na. I'm probably going to leave it na aswell.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,716 Posts
@Fox89 I'm not sure there's much to be gained, as the turbo engine runs a lower compression ratio, compared to a NA. naturally aspirated engine.

As to power... a 2.5 NA engine will produce more power, compared to a 2.0 or 2.2 NA engine.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
1998 Forester Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking to decode an engine that was given to me. It's ej20 I know this much. But was told it came from a wrx. Then someone says no it's from a legacy gt. Now the same guy that told me wrx says it came from a Forester. Lol I know it's from 92-96 because the red injectors(found that much out in a previous post) it's Dohc. Has an engine serial number of 221507. It has other numbers too on the crankcase halves. Can anyone shed some light on this. Really want to build it up. But I need to know what I'm buying parts for. Plus I'd like to know the factory hp output.
IMG_20190709_194051424.jpg

Face of the engine if it helps any
IMG_20190709_194100520.jpg

·
Registered
1998 Forester Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey all, wondering if anyone has tried the ej20d. It's supposed to be a JDM dohc 2.0 non turbo engine making around 150hp. Im thinking about grabbing up one of these engines along with a 4.44 gearing trans an diff once tax season rolls around. Has anyone ever had any experience with these engines ? Reliability ? Driveability ? Performance ?
Screenshot_20191016-130619.png

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,716 Posts
@Fox89 I merged your 3 related threads to this thread. It's best to keep like discussions together in the same thread.

Members have swapped to this engine, as it's easier to source (plentiful in Japan) & cost less.

The 2.0 will produced less power, compared to the 2.5 engine. I read if you have a MT... manual transmission, you won't notice the power loss.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
1998 Forester Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool man I appreciate the merge of posts. That's neat. Yea it's all fairly related to the same vehicle. Basically I daily drive my 98 Forester which now has the ej22 that came factory in my legacy. An I'm trying to figure out what the best engine an trans combo to put back in the legacy. It's a 90 model but the body is very solid with zero rust. But sadly the trans is shot(all seals leaking heavily input shaft bearing squeeling etc...) Also I live 5 miles from a dragstrip so I may run it occasionally. I'd like to keep it N/A to keep things simple. . Like just adding a dohc 2.0 na suppose to have 148hp stock which is 18 more then the ej22. An possibly adding a 4.44 5spd trans a rear diff for faster jumps off the line. . What do you think 2.5x ? I also plan on basic bolt on mods. Light weight wheels an tires. An upgrading the brakes.

·
Registered
1998 Forester Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ej204 with 97-98 Ej25d heads

Ok so I really want to try an build another hybrid engine. Here's what I've come up with. The ej204 dohc na engines online are cheap an you can get the full longblock with accessories for under 700$. Right now pullapart in my state has several foresters with the dohc engine. But what if I got an ej204 engine stripped it down the shortblock. Got a set of 97-98 dohc Ej25d heads with 46cc? Combustion chamber heads. An Installed them with 0.55 thickness MLS headgaskets. I'm thinking it'll turn out to be an high compression 2.0 boxer engine that can be ran in phase one cars ? Is this true .. or is the heads even compatible at all ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts