Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 Forester T/Tb has a switch near the Hand Brake, written AT Hold. What's it's function?:?:

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
No idea what it's for, but I imagine the owner's manual has an answer.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
I think the owners manual might be in Japanese... :?

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
cheusi said:
My 98 Forester T/Tb has a switch near the Hand Brake, written AT Hold. What's it's function?:?:
It stops automatic use of 1st gear, more or less. I think it also alters the shift points to upshift at lower revs than usual (opposite of Power button). It's mainly intended to reduce wheelspin on snow.

Specifically, with HOLD turned on:

In D, the car will move off in 2nd gear and change up to 3rd and 4th as soon as it can.
In 3, the car will move off in 2nd gear and change up to 3rd as soon as it can.
In 2, the car will use 2nd gear only.
In 1, the car will use 1st gear only.

Allegedly, using Hold also makes the centre transfer clutch lock up sooner/harder.

-- Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
In Europe we have this button (snowflake). Fantastic on icy or snow covered road. Just try it. You will notice the difference.
It will avoid using 1st gear (as described above), but automatic have enough torque to drive with. But the difference when starting on slippery road is big.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Why can't subaru just give everyone the same foresters!

All these fancy features they've got are making me irritated

:)

Suppose they would have to manufacture the right/left handed driving position models though

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
SenorSubie said:

Suppose they would have to manufacture the right/left handed driving position models though
I just realized our SVX has the same feature... except it's called "manual mode", which is a total misnomer.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
SenorSubie said:

Well it's all marketing isn't it. No technical reasons whatever. Presumably some marketer has decided drivers will be scared of the extra switches or something.

(Don't feel too bad, you have the great extra feature that your cars cost lots less.)

-- Steve

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HOLD button also apply some kind of mountain brake (what for for AT, I wonder...). Your car won't drive back after you release brake pedal. And, as sahunt said, it modify (lower) level of revolutions to change gears, disable 1st gear and may be (not covered in manual) modify central differential ratio.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
SenorSubie said:

But in the US, you get the hold feature automagically by just selecting 2nd gear! I'd prefer a button though.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I wonder whether I'm better off with the knowledge though...

·
Registered
1997 Forester T/TB
13 Posts
It stops automatic use of 1st gear, more or less. I think it also alters the shift points to upshift at lower revs than usual (opposite of Power button). It's mainly intended to reduce wheelspin on snow.

Specifically, with HOLD turned on:

In D, the car will move off in 2nd gear and change up to 3rd and 4th as soon as it can.
In 3, the car will move off in 2nd gear and change up to 3rd as soon as it can.
In 2, the car will use 2nd gear only.
In 1, the car will use 1st gear only.

Allegedly, using Hold also makes the centre transfer clutch lock up sooner/harder.

-- Steve
Bumping an old thread... hope you don't mind.

Just curious whether it's wise or unwise to drive around with Hold Button always ON? Somebody said that it should do "wonders to fuel economy...". If so, why not... unless somebody can give me a good reason why I shouldn't. :confused:

Also wondering about the locking up of centre transfer clutch / diff... just rumours or have somebody some written proof, as in a translated Japanese manual or something? My T/Tb unfortunately came with no documentation whatsoever.

Cheers! :icon_cool:

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Best way - keep related topics together.

Just curious whether it's wise or unwise to drive around with Hold Button always ON? Somebody said that it should do "wonders to fuel economy...". If so, why not... unless somebody can give me a good reason why I shouldn't. :confused:
You'd be moving off in 2nd gear all the time. That will be slow, and although it might (MIGHT) save some fuel, it will increase wear on the drivetrain if you do it all the time. Especially on hills. In fact you might not be able to pull away at all on a hill.

Also wondering about the locking up of centre transfer clutch / diff... just rumours or have somebody some written proof, as in a translated Japanese manual or something? My T/Tb unfortunately came with no documentation whatsoever.
I have not been able to confirm this rumour. I eagerly await some snow to test it; not had any since I got the Forester.

-- Steve

·
Registered
2000 Forester Limited
61 Posts

Cheers! :icon_cool:
Yes, there is a way to lock up the centre "diff" clutch on the 4eat auto at least, to provide constant 50:50 torque split, ONLY for use offroad as it twist up the drive train otherwise.

I have modded mine and there is a thread on the forum that covers this. When wheel slip is detected the clutch locks up within a few seconds, with it locked up permanently the slip is avoided in the first place. Have tried it on some muddy roads and on the beach and personally I think its a great improvement on stability having all 4 wheels equally driven rather than the 90% front as it stands normally.

EDIT: Found the old thread complete with all the testing and wiring diagrams. Dave.

·
Registered
1999 Forester Stb
18 Posts
Im in St. Vincent in the Caribbean and we have lots of windy, hilly roads with slow corners and, sometimes very slow drivers. We drive mainly in second and third gear. My problem is the turbo lag on the S/tb Auto. If I select 2 and keep the power button switched on and the hold button off the box will not change down to first above 35 to 40 kph. If I select 1 and slow down then the transmission will go into first and if I boot it there is a delay and then the acceleration is manic. Then there is a massive clunk and thud when changing into second before the rev limiter kicks in. All this means that it is difficult to overtake a slow car and, worse, to be able do this reliably. Anyone got any ideas on the best settings for gearbox/hold/power and changes/mods to the turbo to get more reliable acceleration low down?

·
Registered
2005 OBXT 5EAT
46 Posts
Can someone post a link to the snowflake button/wiring? That would look nice next to my upcoming 4x4 switch for autotragic...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks, just resurrecting this thread as I may have broken this switch, and wondering if it will cause any problems in my '05 Forester.

Basically, I was removing the centre panels in order to change the stereo, and I foolishly unplugged the Power/Hold switch. The little slider inside the switch that completes the circuit in different positions then fell out. I found it, tried to get it back in, bent the metal piece it pushes against, and then lost it again. Not one of my finest hours. Now, when I accelerate, I can hear what sounds like a servo whirring somewhere low down inside the dash. I can't tell if anything else is happening. It seems to drive fine, but I am wondering if continuing to drive it like this will eventually break something?

Cheers in advance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts