Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1997 - Tuning my JDM SF5?

('98-'00) 
10K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  mcquairbryce 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright, so I am about to bite the bullet and purchase my EMS. It's a daughter-board from the UK made by Enduring Solutions. There isn't much information on it in North America yet because the JDM/EUR vehicles are not available in the States yet just in Canada & everybody here is always told to go with an Apexi. However this board outshines the Apexi in every aspect. Overseas it's got nothing but good reviews you have it soldered into your vehicles existing ECU (after you tell them what ECU you have) and you can drive around all day long with your OEM settings until you have the time/money for a full tune, or learn to tune it yourself.

The website sort of sucks lol the Facebook page is more useful:
Enduring Solutions Limited
https://www.facebook.com/EnduringSolutionsLtd

Live mapping system for pre 99 Subaru Imprezas.

Feature List (Not Exhaustive):

Low cost (GBP295/USD450)
Suitable for all turbocharged Imprezas
Only option for Legacy RSB/GTB
Only option for AT Forester
MAF/MAFless load switchable in software
User Switchable Maps (Full, not offsets)
Closed Loop Knock Control
Closed Loop Idle
Injector overrun cut off
Software fully windows integrated, modern, object oriented, multi-threaded, live updates.
Factory drive quality out of the box.
Comprehensive closed loop knock control.
3D boost mapping - no boost controller required.
Can be remapped to incorporate further modifications.
Full OEM Diagnostic control codes.
International dealer support network.
Standard hot and cold start compensations.
Closed loop narrowband lambda control (idle and light cruise).
No additional harness
All Sensors and actuators exposed, will work with any specification
Installation Service available
Motorsport features to follow: ALS, LC, Flat Shift

SAVE MONEY - GET MORE!

The OEM JECS ECU is the most capable ECU you can use with your Version 1 -4 Impreza!

Consider the amount Subaru will have spent developing and testing it specifically for that model range and compare that to the likely budget of an aftermarket manufacturer.

Find another ECU with useful real world features such as closed loop knock control so comprehensive that it can retard ignition, add fuel and modify boost.

How many after market ECUS feature full active diagnostics and 3D boost mapping?

The only major disadvantage of the OEM JECS ECU was its inability to be reflashed. Thats where the ESL Live daughterboard comes in. It allows the numbers in the OEM ECU to be changed to control fuelling, ignition, boost, sensor and actuator swaps (MAF, MAP, turbo, injector, etc). ESL Live will grow with any future modifications you have planned. It is the complete solution for any engine specification.

The best part - At £295+VAT and mapping it is very much cheaper than any of the aftermarket replacement ECUs, and a national distributor network means local support for the product. Don't be fooled into paying over the odds for a replacement ECU that is less capable than the one you already have in the car. This is a rare situation where you really can save money yet get more.

A national distribution network consisting of all the UK's top Subaru tuning experts is in place to ensure local support.
I am going to be installing this ECU for more fun while I build my crazy motor on the side. So that it's tuned correctly for more power on our 94 octane fuel and still able to be driven how I want to drive it ;) haha.
I have a '97 JDM EJ20

I am thinking before I get a tune I should upgrade the boost solenoid to a Grimmspeed 3-port (which is a MAC solenoid) as I've heard the early JDM solenoids don't respond well to tuning. This solenoid is supposed to hold boost better, build boost faster & allow the tuner to adjust the psi easily throughout the entire RPM band of each gear.

Also, should I upgrade the injectors to something like 440's or will this be overkill for my OEM style setup? The OEM injectors are something like 380 & I don't want to push them too hard or find out I could of had more juice but the injectors are holding me back. On the other hand, I don't want to over fuel but I don't think 440's would be too large. Any thoughts?

For motor modifications, the car will simply have a 3" turbo back (with 1 resonator & 1 muffler, no cats), an Apexi drop-in intake with the fender silencer removed & Grimmspeed light crank pulley.

I already have an Innovate LC-2 wideband & Defi boost gauge. Is there anything else that would be a recommendation to get before the tune so I can maximize my gains since I'm spending the money for the tune I'd like to get as much as I can from it as far as simple little stuff goes.

See less See more
#7 ·
Hey sorry guys I've been SUPER busy lately & forgot about this thread. I've got the ESL ECU back & installed. So far everything works 100% as it did OEM since I haven't changed anything (except for that my top speed limiter has been removed). The car runs just as it did before the install so that's great, I've got the cable & software hooked up to my laptop and had a look all the management software works and looks very simple/easy to use. I just haven't done any messing with it yet since I've taken on a big project on my SF5 the car has been garaged for the past couple months and I haven't had time to take it in for the tune. Once it's all done though I will update again.

#10 ·
Reactions: mcquairbryce
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.