Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey crew
Recent development of an issue in my 97sf5 t/t EJ20 (Japanese import to New Zealand)
First appeared as a flat spot in the rev range between 3k and 3.5k, above 3.5k there would be no noticeable loss of power. This is on flat and up hill with WOT.

It’s now developed to any part of the rev range above 3k from 40% up to wide open throttle. Flat or up hill. The power comes and goes in brief spurts but if I back off the throttle to less than 50%, I remain in boost and continue to accelerate smoothly throughout the rev range but not at full power.

From lots of different load testing scenarios, I’m confident that the problem is linked to being under load + accelerating because going WOT from 3k to 6.5k+ down hill does not seem to cause the issue.

I intend to check/change the plugs and iv been searching for broken vacuum lines, loose hoses in the induction system etc but no luck.
What other causes and cures could it be.
Failed wastegate actuator?
Vacuum/Boost sensor miss reading boost pressure causing fuel cut?
One of the other vacuum/boost sensors not working correctly?
Cheers!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Polarbear fozzy Not sorted but much better, it may be partially from knock retardation.
Oil was poop so replaced oil with 50/50 oil and oil stabiliser because the bottom end isn't the tightest/smoothest. Plugs were pretty toast so fresh set went in.
Just need to pick up a boost gauge to check the pressure under load. If there's any issues there i'll add a manual boost controller to set the pressure correctly or dial it down so the engine doesn't knock.

I want longer life not more power haha. Its my work wagon so I need it to live until I can spare the cash to get a fresh Forester :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts